User experience on Bodyguardz please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Apr 28, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I plan to use the Bodyguardz to protect my new MBP 17". I understand that to put the films on the MBP perfectly, it is recommended that one needs to spray lots of solution on the films. 1. Won't the machine be damaged if the solution get into the machine? I am particularly worry about the areas on the speakers. There are lots of holes. 2. If I later decide to remove the films, will there be residues? 3. Does the solution affect the case in a negative way? I heard that the solution is like water mixed with shampoo. Wonder if this will discolor or create marks on the case. 4. Will covering the speakers affect the volume and air circulation? Thanks.

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I use Bodyguardz film on my iPhone. If you're careful with the solution there shouldn't be a problem. Spray the solution on the film, not on your computer. Have some paper towels on hand to wipe up the excess right away and you should be ok.

When I've removed the film there hasn't been any residue.

One thing that I recommend is to make sure the surface you're applying the film to is absolutely clean. I wipe down the surface with isopropyl alcohol (or something similar) and then wipe it down with a clean, lint-free cloth. Don't handle the surface before you apply the film. Not only will contaminants from your skin affect the adhesive, but any dust or lint will show through the film. After you apply the film work the edges down (a hair dryer works well), then let it sit overnight if you can before you handle it.

I've found that if you're really careful during the installation, especially about degreasing the surface, the film is very durable. Otherwise it starts to lift around the edges after a while.

3. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Hey there!

I applied the invisible shield on my brand new 15" mbp last week. I gotta tell you, if you are a perfectionist, like I am, and you won't want to see bubbles between the computer and the film, you will spend between 3-4 hours applying it all around the body. It's a lot of work.

1.Make sure you have your hands moist from the spray all the time.

2. Make sure the film doesn't fold itself and "glues" itself, it's a pain to "unglue" it but you can do it. The problem is that once it touches other part of the film that is dry, it leaves marks, and after you apply the film, those marks won't come out.

3. Use paper towel to cover the ports and the speakers. Hint: when applying it on the top and bottom of the mbp, put paper towels inside the computer and leave parts sticking outside of the computer.

4.If you see bubbles, remove the film and reapply, trust me, it's worth it. Seeing a bunch of bubbles after applying the film, and knowing they'll be there forever sucks.

5.After finished, leave it alone for 12h. It's more than enough.

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Re: bubbles, I used Invisible Shield on my old cell phone (RAZR) and Bodyguardz on my iPhone, and in my experience small bubbles will work themselves out over the course of a few days. On one installation (I've done it 4 times) I didn't worry about bubbles at all, and left in some fairly big ones, and those took a long time to go away. But usually small bubbles go away fairly fast. If the bubble is due to debris under the film, though, it will never go away.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the suggestions. I heard somewhere that we should leave it alone for 24h. Glad to hear that 12h are good enough. During this time, can I still use the computer? The company recommends turning it off before applying the films. From youtube videos, it looks like people put the films on the bottom first and then the top. Do you know the reason?

There are two ways to do it: 1. Put the film on the bottom, let the MBP sits on the desk upside down for 12 hr. Once it is dried. Work on the top and then wait for another 12 hr. 2. Put the film on the bottom, once it is position well enough. *Immediately* put it on the desk (i.e. film in between the MBP and the desk). Then, put the firm on the top while leaving the LCD lid closed. Wait for 12 hr before using the machine. Could you please let me know which way is better?

By the way, we know that sweat from the hands could discolor the palm areas of the MBP. Are you guys/girls sure that the solution does not cause such problem few months later?