User experience on the current 17-inch MBP please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Apr 4, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. We all know that the santa rosa MBP (2007 models) have lots of problems. I am considering to get the current 17-inch MBP (matte screen, either normal HD or SSD) or wait for the upcoming one. I wonder if there are known issues with the current 17 model (matte screen). I noticed that the resolution for this model is higher than that of the SR MBP. Do you feel comfortable reading the characters for a long period of time? Is the machine noisy compared with the SR MBP? Does the palm rest area change color due to sweaty palms? It is hard to tell if the upcoming new MBPs will have hardware issues. Thanks.

2. tim100 macrumors 65816

no problems. it is big and the text is small.

3. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

The text is definitely smaller but very readable. Having documents side by side while working on them is very easy and useful, though. I'm also really happy with the matte screen for Aperture work etc.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I recall there is some kind of resolution independent feature in Snow Leopard. Is it working nicely?

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use my 17" MBP on daily basis, the vast majority of time connected to my 24" ACD. The 17" MBP is an excellent machine. I agree that the text is smaller, but depending on what you do, the extra screen space (as compared to the 15" MBP) is very valuable. The machine is pretty much silent.

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

7. braintumor macrumors regular

No problems at all ... Even played games on it and everything works great... Just take care of your MBP and you will not have problems with the palm rest area changing color or something like that...

Reading is still very comfortable at this resolution, but I value the greater work area higher that comes with a high resolution.... BTW. the 17" model even has a higher pixel per inch (PPI) rate than any other display (in apples line-up), so pictures and graphics will look fantastic and very clear.

8. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

What would cause the palm rest to change color?

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

oils from your hands turn it brown after a while. There is such thing as a "palm guard" its worth the investment.

10. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

I'm sure there has been something wrong with someones, somewhere, but that's the case with all technology. If you want to find a problem with something, search hard enough and you'll find it.

It comes with a warranty remember, so if there's a fault, you can have it sorted out.

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Not only brown but also dots in black color.
    I have the palm guard right from the beginning. However, the sweat managed to enter the edge of the guard. I know that old MBP models have this problem. Not sure about the unibody MBPs.

P.S. I mainly use my laptop for programming and writing of academic research papers.

12. braintumor macrumors regular

I clean my MBP at least ones a week, so the sweat will not attack the surface, so no problem there... BTW, for heavy usage of the keyboard i recommend buying a separate keyboard...

13. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Could you link me to an example? Googling just brought me to athletic gear and keyword searching the Apple Store got nothing.

Is this caused by the interaction of aluminum and sweat/oil or is there a coating on the unibody that's creating the browning?

Is the finish/material on the unibody's any different than the previous generation? I'm new to Apple, but I thought the previous gen was also all aluminum, so perhaps the issue would very well extend to the present ones.

Simply with a tissue/paper towel and water I assume?