Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boiee

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Just wanted to get feedback on how everyone who had a previous 12 inch Powerbook/iBook adjusted to getting a 13 inch and/or 15 inch MB/MBP.

Going into Apple store tomorrow and I am going to purchase a new computer to replace my aging 12 inch Powerbook (still a great computer, but the fans are getting a bit too loud). I'm still up in the air on which model I should get - 13 or 15. Leaning towards the 15 as portability is not a big factor to me anymore (Recent college grad and won't be taking it to class anymore; just desk to bed really. Ha.) How was your user experience? (Normal tasks include MS Office, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto - nothing CPU intensive) Thanks for all your feedback!

tallpaul

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
after 4 years use of my trusty 12PB 1.33 1.25gb ram 60gb I had to move to the MBP13 once i saw the return of FW. I use to dj so needed FW for soundcard.

That aside the mbp13 is incredible, size, build, speed, parallels, couldn't be happier with is what i believe a logical progression

ChocolateJesus

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Ontario
Coming from a 1.33 12" PB to my Unibody was simply an epiphany. The improvements in the display quality, let alone the sheer power of this machine make it worth it, not to mention the awesome trackpad, iSight, keyboard and more "solid" feel.

You will miss the form factor of your powerbook, but that will quickly dissolve when you see what this thing can do.

Finlandboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
ive used my powerbook (specs in sig.) for the past few years and loved it. then upgraded to my 15 inch uMBP recently and couldn't be happier. it is a dramatic change in just overall use of my computer.

size, speed, appearance, performance, easy of use, features, etc.... i love it and have not had one regret :D:D:D:D

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
If you're used to the 12 then a 13 MBP might be the ticket. It's got quite a bit more screen than you're used to and also a bigger footprint. The 15" will feel like a behemoth in comparison. It's a heck of a lot faster at everything but still gets hot. The fan(s) won't be running as much and the screen is worlds brighter. You waited for the right time to upgrade since Apple has had quite a learning curve in figuring out the QC transitioning to Intel. I have a 13" MBP that really is near flawless.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Went from a 12'' to a 15'' uMBP. Yes it is bigger, but like other have mentioned already, the solid feel, the spectacular screen, the trackpad, the battery life, the speed, etc... make it worth the upgrade.

What a fantastic computer.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I went from a 12" G4 iBook to my 13" Unibody MacBook.

Absolutely perfect transition I'd say. The side is almost the same, just a bit wider...and heck, the Unibody even weighs less!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.