User folder move off SSD - include library?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OracleRedux, Oct 30, 2010.

1. OracleRedux macrumors member

I know the prevailing opinion is to move the Users folder (i.e. all home folders) off an SSD boot drive and onto an HDD in order to increase available space and avoid thrashing the SSD.
    However, it occurs to me that by moving the users folder the Library folder is also moved (~/Library/). Doesn't this compromise the speed increase gained from having an SSD? The application will start quickly but then have to wait for the HDD in order to load preferences.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't recommend moving Library files off the primary internal drive.

3. OracleRedux thread starter macrumors member

I am referring to the Library files in the User folder - i.e. they would move along with the entire home directory.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what I'm referring to, as well. I wouldn't move the entire User folder, but only the folders for user-created files, such as Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc. Naturally, you want to leave Desktop and Library. Moving those, especially Library, could interfere with some apps running.

5. OracleRedux thread starter macrumors member

Somewhat surprising that so many tutorials recommend moving the home folder in its entirety.

What would be the best method for moving just a subset of the home directory - symlinks?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some may recommend it and you might not have problems with it, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. In the same way, it's usually safe to move apps from the /Applications folder to the /Applications/Utilities folder, but some apps appear to have problems if you move the app or any components. Rather than moving everything, my approach would be to store only selected things, such as large photo collections, movies and music files on the HDD. Those are typically the largest consumers of disk space and system resources when they're opened. YMMV