User lost permissions on home folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DennisBlah, Oct 30, 2018.

1. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Hi all,

I can't really find a similar post. One of my clients has a macBook Pro 2016, which has been encrypted on High Sierra and updated recently to Mojave.

The problems started off with searching within his email.
    As common as it is, I ran the outlook search tool from microsoft and it solved it at that moment.

The next day he called me again and running it again did not work. So I disabled and removed his spotlight and started the indexing again.
    sudo mdutil -i off /
    sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*/
    sudo mdutil -i on /
    sudo mdutil –E

This solved the issue again, but today he called me up again that it's gone again!

After trying to remove his spotlight settings in ~/Library/Preferences I figured he had no access to his folder...
    Going a bit more up I found he had no access to his Desktop (in a Finder window, but from the desktop itself it worked fine..)
    Further up his homefolder received the username and group from the local admin account...

After fixing this with sudo chown -R username:staff /Users/username it's fixed and searching worked straight away.

Now I'd like to know if others are facing the same issue as I'm afraid this is going to re-ocure again, and this client is our Branch Director :D

2. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Used to be a nice home directory reset built into Recover Mode. Sadly, it has been removed.

Now this is the way....

More info here. This Dev has a lot of interesting tools...including Repair Home Permissions in his download area (about 2/3 of the way down). Seems to be a GUI for the command above. Used it a couple times, worked great.

3. DennisBlah thread starter macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Hi hobowankenobi,

My issue was that the ownership of his homefolder changed to the one from the local administrator account.
    It's a miracle he could login at all!

His issue's started when I encrypted his drive, updated his osx to mojave and migrated his email to an O365 license.

I could not find anything similar on the internet on this issue, so it might just been a one-time thing... I hope...

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

The most likely explanation is that you make a mistake. I know you don't think you did, but if you noticed yourself making it then you would have not done it.

Let's hope I am right because if I am this is not likely to ever happen again. It was a one-off accident, so kind of typo.