User Replaceable Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanc28, Jan 30, 2009.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Only thing I want in the next generation iPhone is a user replaceable - so then I don't have to go & update my phone every 1-2 years.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, if you want to buy another $200-$300 phone instead of paying $85, that's your business.

But making the battery user-replaceable either makes the phone larger (which Apple won't do) or shortens the battery life a noticeable amount. So what you want is an iPhone that dies even QUICKER? Right now I can get by without one of those external packs. If they did this, however, I'd be forced to buy a 2nd battery and carry it with me all the time.

And how much would that second battery cost? $60? $70?

Just pay the $85 repair fee next year. That's what I plan on doing. It makes a lot more sense than spending almost the same amount just so I can add one more thing to remember every day.

EDIT: And if you really need it, just get this.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As SWC said, why in the hayull would you buy a new phone for just the battery if the cost to replace it is $85 vs. $200 for the phone? If Apple uses that 17-inch MBP-style battery in iPhones and gets about 40 percent better battery life, then I'M ALL FOR IT. I think I have replaced two cell phone batteries in my life -- because the phones were usually so crappy that I would just spend $0 on a better one with another 2-year contract.

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

5. bryanc28 thread starter macrumors 6502

bryanc28

6. derek320 macrumors member

They charge $50 for the battery and then $10 for the recommended tools, thats $65 right there plus the hassle of taking the phone apart and risking it never working again.

I would rather pay $25 more to have Apple replace the battery and keep my warranty.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

I used to think the same way until I looked into it and realized we get smaller products with longer battery life by not having user replaceable batteries. The only negative to this type of design is that you don't have extra battery packs to pop in, for times when you have no way to recharge.