User replacing the HD - still unsupported?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bLiss, Jul 23, 2011.

1. bLiss macrumors member

bLiss

Was just looking into these iMacs thinking I could get the SSD/HD option and replace with my own HD, but then I read the news from May saying Apple made this fail the hardware test.

Did a solution come about since then? Ridiculous to see that they made the upgrade so difficult/impossible and then the Seagates that they sent out with those machines just got recalled!

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I think it's replaceable, but you pretty much have to go to hell and back to get it done.

3. gnagy macrumors regular

It's possible to replace the hard drive, but it's NOT easy. Take a look at the steps:
    http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html#more

If you want to replace the hard drive, you are much better off getting a Macbook Pro or a Mac Pro and a 27" cinema display. Yes, it's more expensive, but replacing the hard drive is a quite a bit easier.

4. bLiss thread starter macrumors member

bLiss

Holy crap, to hell and back, you guys aren't kidding.

Thanks for the updates.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah, considering that the hard drive is a part of the machine prone to failure, and upgrade, this is indeed silly. I replaced mine on a 2010 27" and it was pretty easy for a careful person, but now it's harder to find drives that comply.

Pity.

Rob