User reporting

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by b24pgg, Oct 20, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I just reported a user; my post was deleted but the user's offending posts remain.

:confused:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Good for you? Your post must have been in violation of a rule, the other person's wasn't. Maybe it's still under discussion.

3. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

That wasn't the case.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Perhaps The Mods

Deleted the wrong post.....They are human you know. Contact them and ask...

5. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

That's why I posted here :)

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It appears, from my end, that your comment was removed because it was in response to post that violated the rules (which had to be removed, so your comment no longer made sense).

As for the post you reported, it appears to me that it was also removed.

If you still think we made an error, you can re-report the post or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

7. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

That is true, but the user had four offending posts. My comment that was removed had quoted his three previous harassing comments which still remain

EDIT: nevermind, looks like you cleaned them up. Thanks :)

8. Macman45, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes

But it would make no sense to leave your post's hanging linked to a deleted thread. The Mods have done what they always do....It's not an attack on you...It's simply application of the rules.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I learned the hard way that if you quote a rule-breaking post in your response, you are considered to have broken the rule, too. I quoted a name-calling post, and I received a warning letter.

Perfectly appropriate - I should have thought that through more carefully. I exchanged some messages with the Mod, who politely explained my error. :eek:

If you have any questions about a Mod action, you might want to consider communicating with the Mod privately rather than in a public forum. More direct contact. But, I'm not criticizing your public post.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The problem with post deletes is that you cannot see who deleted the post, hence there is no certain user you should contact. Using the contact form is probably the best way though, since it will be reviewed by the admins. Reminders and warnings are only sent when there is a rule violation, but quoting a rule-violating post alone is not forbidden (if you are still confused about your case, I can explain via PM, or in public if you give us your permission).

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I was under the impression that when I quoted the offending post and wrote "^^^ This" the problem was quoting the offending post. In your reply to my request for clarification, you indicated that "^^^This" was the problem.

If you would be so kind, clarifying my misunderstanding would be great. I have no problem with you replying on this public thread.

I'm embarrassed that I did a dumb thing ( a first for me :D :rolleyes: :p), but perhaps a public clarification of my mistake might be useful for others, too.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, the problem was that you put "^^^ This". If you had quoted the post but written something else (other than "I agree" kind of reply), then it wouldn't have been a problem. Lets see an example:

In this case, the User 2's post is exactly the same as User 1's, meaning wise. If User 1 calls User 3 an idiot, and User 2 posts that he agrees with User 1, then it's essentially an insult as well. User 2 could have written "You are an idiot" instead of quoting, which is an insult, but no different from the example above.

I hope this clarifies it. It's so easy to quote someone and +1 it without thinking the actual content. It''s fairly rare though, but something to keep in mind. However, understanding the problem and learning from mistakes is more important. Heck, I have received two warnings and I'm now a mod :p Replying to the reminder/warning is always a good idea since the replies will be documented and will show us how you took the reminder/warning. A polite and understanding reply will not be missed :)

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for your reply. It does, indeed, clarify the issue of quoting an inappropriate post.

I did reply to the reminder I received - it was from you!!:eek: :p :D