User rights? privileges?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marine610610, May 14, 2007.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

Whenever i try to move certain files from my desktop to a folder on my desktop it asks me if i want to authenticate. I don't know why it does this, but even when i type in my password is says i do not have sufficient privileges? I am the only one that has had access to this machine, it is physically secure as well as password protected. Can anyone tell me how to turn this off, as its gotten quite annoying?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Get Info on the files in question (Apple+I) and see who the owner is listed as. CHange the owner to your user name and you shouldn't have any problems after that.

3. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

It says i am the owner and i have read and write pirveyz... Other ideas? Im lost...:confused:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

5. reflex macrumors 6502a

Don't forget to check the privileges of the folder you're moving the files to (in the same way as for those files).

6. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Two things you can do:

Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and Repair Permissions on the drive;

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app, type cd ~/Desktop, then return, then type ls -l (that's a lower-case L) and hit return. Find the name of the folder, there should be a listing of permissions (drwxr-xr-- or similar), along with the name of the owner and the group. (You can do the same with the file you're copying -- type ls -l, then the directory name, then the file name (use [Tab] to autocomplete directories and files). Make sure that you're at least included in the group, if not listed as the owner, and that you either have "w" access as owner (the first four letters in the permissions) or as group (the fourth through seventh letters).

7. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Fellas...

Thanks a lot for your help. The problem turned out to be ignorance wish a dash of stupidity. I had "locked" the folders thinking that (it is my first Apple) all it did was keep me from deleting. Guess what else it keeps you from doing? :D Thanks guys.