User upgrade storage in MBPr, advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike Boreham, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I am thinking about changing my 2011 MBP for a 15inch Retina, possibly refurb or used, but want as much storage as possible.

If I buy say a 512 Gb model, how easy is it to upgrade the storage using the OWC offerings or other ?

Buying a 1Tb model adds a lot to the price, and cuts out refurb and used options.

I have found this article which makes it sound quite easy. (I am quite experienced working inside MBPs)

I can't find any posts here from anyone who has actually done this? Any poo-traps? or advice?

PS I know increasing RAM is definitely not possible so will definitely get a 16Gb model.

2. leman macrumors 604

OWC is more expensive than Apple's own upgrade options, and, as it seems, also slower; so I am not sure whether its a good idea. Replacing the SSD itself is easy - OWC have an installation video on their website.

3. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, thanks...... looks like I have my wires crossed a bit...I thought there was an OWC option for 960Gb in the Retina, but on another look seems like 480 Gb is the biggest OWC Retina upgrade and quite expensive, and anyway 512Gb Apple Retina MBPr are quite common, and (I think) all 16Gb RAMs models have 512 Gb anyway.
    Looks like the 1Tb option I really want is only available in new/very recent MBPr which pushes the price up quite a bit.
    Trouble is that I am spoiled by my current MBP2011 which has a 1.95 Gb Fusion Drive (960 Crucial SSD plus 1Tb HDD).

4. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

To add to injury a SSD really needs to have 25% space left over. So if you have a 400GB SSD you really should never use more than 300GB before you start seeing performance drops. and that sucks!

5. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

I have always thought that too, but somewhat thrown by the fact that Fusion Drives are controlled by corestorage to be maintained with 4Gb free of free space. I have two Fusion Drive devices and not seen any problems or degradation.