User Upgrades for 2012 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meldar, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

I am aware that in the Retina MBP, the HDD and RAM are soldered in and cannot be changed by the user.

I don't need an rMBP. I am considering the non-retina new MacBook Pro 15". Will I be able to change the RAM and HDD in that? I would want to put in 8GB RAM (2x 4GB) and possibly a SSD down the road.

Just want to know if / be sure that's possible.

Thanks!

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes, that's still possible since the RAM is not soldered onto the motherboard. An SSD upgrade is also possible.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

You can install up to 16GB(2 x 8GB) into the current models of cMBPs.

4. richnyc, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Just got mine (13" cMBP) and that's what I did:

OWC 16GB RAM (2x8GB)
    Samsung 256GB SSD

Worth it!!!

Check out OWC and iFixit websites for all the guides;)

5. Irock619, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

The retina MBP does not have an HDD, it has an SSD and it is not soldered to the motherboard...

http://youtu.be/s0AVEc0IVqo

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I think you know what he meant. HDD soldered (newbie terms) = flash storage.

Rather surprised that he's a regular.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

OWC RAM just seems overpriced to me.

If I were buying memory for a new Mac right now, I'd probably buy this.

8. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

You are prolly right. That's sounds like a good. I went with OWC because it was the DDR3L version, IIRC has lower voltage, not sure how much it matters. Thanks for the link;)

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Yeah it is a slightly lower voltage, but I don't know how much difference it actually makes. Samsung makes some DDR3L laptop kits but I only see the 8GB kit on newegg.

10. Calltrex macrumors newbie

I got the newest mbp 2.6

i did not think the retina was worth the money
    then no CD
    no firewire 800 port. already had a external HD
    no docking station for it that i know of

i want to eventually put 2 SSD drives in. can do that with the rentina version

11. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Even up to 32GB (2x16GB) when they will become available.

12. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

newbie? scusi? I'm a computer technician for a living. I just didn't know the rMBP came exclusively with SSDs. Seeing as I can't justify the cost of one, I didn't even bother to look at the specifications (although now my curiosity is piqued).

Sorry for any confusion about that. I did indeed mean flash storage. The amount of posts I make here does not reflect on anything other than the frequency with which I post on the fora...

Thanks for the answers/advice all. I'm definitely going with a SSD and an external enclosure for a data drive and definitely need 8GiB+ of RAM. 16GiB might be overkill/expensive but that and a SSD would make it the fastest computer I've ever owned. It's an inviting thought. :)

13. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

In retina MBP, SSD has a proprietary connector, which would make the capacity upgrades a lot more expensive,
    since you cannot just put in a regular SSD, and have to buy a "Special for Mac" version.

14. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

cMBP's rock. I love mine and would not trade for a rMBP! Upgradability is more usefully and fun to me than the hi Rez screen. This is my first Mac and the standard screen is amazing! Actually looks better than my Sony 1080P.

15. Calltrex macrumors newbie

U can get the higher resolution standard screen for $100 extra

I was going to get it but didn't want to wait for it. Order only

16. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Didn't skimp, and glad for it

Picked up a cMBP 15" when they were released with the rMBP because I wanted USB 3.0, CD/DVD drive, and the ability to upgrade the RAM and HDD. I also really wanted a new iMac, but I just couldn't wait any longer for that announcement.

I've never maxed out my computer as a way of saving money. So this time, I said f*&k it, and threw in 16GB RAM, opted for the hi-res, anti-glare screen, and did a 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD because I wanted more space than any of the SSDs currently offer. The RAM really make this thing sing, and the hi-res screen is beautiful. I had a 2005 iMac previously, but my cMBP with a 2nd monitor, external keyboard and trackpad give me the portability of a laptop and the performance of a kick ass desktop in 1 computer.

I do have to say that I sincerely appreciate the weight of the Air and rMBP, though, and if that is at all important, you should really consider those instead -- the cMBP is heavy and can wear on you traveling long distances. Otherwise, every time I press that power button, my heart beats a little faster and a wave of happiness overcomes me. And since I've heard that the new iMacs may not ship until 2013, I am so glad I decided on a cMBP instead.