Users (both admin) accessing each other's documents

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by entilda, Feb 27, 2011.

1. entilda macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I didn't know where to post this. I feel silly I couldn't find the answer to this. I tried to search, but I am guessing I don't know the right search key terms.

Here is my problem: I created a second admin account on my mpb (snow leopard). I want user b to access the documents and applications of user a without having to put that into the shared folder.

In other words, I want user b to be able to open the Documents folder of user a.

How do I do that? Would disabling firevault help? :confused:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Well for starters, disable FileVault. Then make sure you're logged in as user b. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Users. Double-click on user a, then select the Documents folder. Bring up Get Info with :apple:+I. Scroll down to Sharing & Permissions. Click the padlock in the bottom right and authenticate with either user password. Then click the + sign in the bottom left to add user b to the list, and change the privileges to Read or Read/Write.

3. entilda thread starter macrumors newbie

JediMeister, thank you! You are the best. I couldn't figure out how to get to permissions. I really appreciate this.

cheers
    n~

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Glad things worked out. Oh, one more thing I forgot. If you have folders in Documents you want user b to also have access to, bring up Get Info again, open the padlock, and click the gear icon and choose "Apply to enclosed items"