Users Committed to 4.7", Could iPhone Pro Sway You?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARizz44, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

I know there is a similar thread asking what it would take folks to buy the iPhone Pro (if it truly exists).

My question is solely for those who feel the 4.7" is perfect for them and that the 5.5" option is too large. Come September if you are looking to upgrade, would a 5.5" Pro option sway you? Let's pretend it ends up having a qHd display, or the dual cameras, perhaps waterproof. Would this be enough to cause you forego comfort/portability to have the extra features that the regular 7 does not get? Particularly if the bezels and overall size remain the same.

Again I am curious to hear from those who are very much pro 4.7", not those who already find the 5.5" their desired size or those who have a 4.7" and are looking to switch to the Plus no matter what it brings.

2. coachbrady79 macrumors member

I love my 4.7 Apple may force my hand if. the next plus has a lot more features not on the 4.7 screen size.

3. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

Not if its as huge as the plus series is now.

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm a phone user who simply does not like larger screen phones. I love the 4.7" screen on my 6s, so I very highly doubt that I'll be swayed to upgrade to a iPhone Pro with a 5.5" screen. Even if there are new features introduced that won't be included on the 4.7" model.

5. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

If the 5.5" version was literally so much better than the 4.7" that they might as well be two different phones, then yes, I'd probably get it. But that aside, I got the smaller one for a reason.

6. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

No. I'm not interested in a 5.5" phone regardless of it's features.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's not only about the size anymore. Apple's prices are insane. It's $1000 for a 64gb latest model phone. Before, it was a no-brainer upgrade every second year. Now if there's an iPhone "Pro" for $1500.. unless it picks up my groceries and parks my car, I would choose to spend my money elsewhere.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

+1.
    (ROTFLMAO. So true!)

9. ValO macrumors 65816

No, won' t go for the pro if it has the same physical sized body as the 6/s+.

Would love to have a plus with reduced bezels and chins with a 5.1-5.3 inch screen though.

10. Jsameds macrumors 68030

If the 7S differs vastly from the 7S+ then I will wait for the 8S to upgrade.

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

If Apple reduces the width of the 5.5 incher like the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge 5.5, have some hardware not found on the 6s+ like water resistant, an SD card slot, one heck of a screen, smaller bezel, and a way to uninstall the crap apps that I would never use, than yes, I would consider it.

12. mlody macrumors 6502a

I hate the current iPhone 6/6s designs (plus included) , so if Apple makes anything that does not look like the current iPhone I am in - in particular:
    - less bezels - Apple look at S7 edge - same size and the phone is about 7 mm shorted and 5 mm narrower - thats huge
    - camera that does not stick out!!!
    - battery - there is barely any difference in thickness and yet s7 edge has like 1000mAh bigger battery

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm looking at a 4.7" for my son to watch videos in he back seat (he currently either uses my 6s plus or mom's 6s depending on who is with him).

If we get a qhd display, dual cameras, and waterproofing (all huge ifs maybe minus the cameras) then I'd get the phone for me and he'd get the 6s plus. I'm very happy with the 6s plus, more so than I ever have veneer, so it will take quite an effort.

14. ardchoille50, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

For me, a 5.5 inch screen is too big. The dictation feature means that I rarely have to touch the keyboard and the size of the 4S, which is still my favorite iPhone, means that I can drop it into a shirt pocket with ease. Some of us simply don't want a larger screen. I'll stop buying iPhones if there ever comes a time where 5.5 is the only choice.

Now, if Apple were to release a "pro" version of iPhone with the same case dimensions/look as the 4S, then yeah, you bet I would buy it.

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

16. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I'm really happy with my 4.7, and tired of Apple putting their best specs/latest technology in their (physically) largest devices (in most - but not all - cases). I'll stick with my iPhone 6 if I need to get the 5.5 (or larger) phone in order to get the best Apple has to offer with the new iPhone. I'd be more than willing to pay a premium price for a top of the line 4.7" iPhone 7 with all the latest features.

When the phone subsidy was "hidden" in the cell phone bill I would upgrade, regardless, but now at least I can save quite a bit of money if I feel the upgrade isn't worth it for me (as the iPhone 6 will be paid off with ATT Next in a couple of months). If they do make a pro line it would be awesome if they offered it in various sizes with the more economical line offered in various sizes as well.

17. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I was happy with my 4.7" iPhone 6 and I have regretted my 5.5" 6S Plus since about a month after I got it.. I will definitely not be buying a "Plus or Pro" iPhone in future unless the size of the phone is much smaller.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Nope. I surely need an iPhone that's smaller than 5"

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wouldn't like to go any bigger than my iPhone 6.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went from an iPhone 5c to the 6 plus nearly two years ago because I thought the larger size of the plus would help me and my old eyes. I now find that it really didn't help that much (I still need to remove my glasses to read things), but as I mentioned before, I do wonder if a 4.87" phone will be too small. I may take the plunge with the 6s a happy medium.

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

The 4.7 is borderline too big in my pockets. Certain movements make it dig into my hip in standard work pants or jeans. No amount of features would make me choose a larger size where a smaller one is available.

22. Akack macrumors 6502a

I don't want a phablet and the extra features on the bigger size iPhone wouldn't matter to me, the overall dimensions of the iPhone 6/6S is about the max limit for me. I wouldn't mind a bigger screen size than 4.7 but Apple would need to slim down the the bezels.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

First of all the "pro" is gonna be just another 5.5 inch iPhone plus model.

And it's costs $850 plus taxes for the 5.5 inch 64gb model currently. That's expensive?

Doesn't the galaxy edge 6 plus now 7 edge cost like $799? For a 32gb model?

Cause Samsung flagship phones are just as expensive as Apples.

24. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I bought a 6s coming from a 6, I was tempted by the bigger screen but decided it was too big for me.
    If they managed to reduce the bezel I'm pretty sure I'd bought the 5.5 model.
    I'm going to wait for the 7s but I don't expect a design change, so the overall dimensions should remain the same.
    To answer your question a significantly better camera could be the reason to upgrade to the bigger model. I'm not quite satisfied with my 6s camera, is great for a smartphone but I think there is a huge room for improvement and dual camera could be the first big step in the right direction. Now with 6s+ you only get OIS, which is good in low light but doesn't improve the quality of the pictures, if in the future the + or "pro" model will feature a different sensor it will produce better pictures in every scenario.

25. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I used the 6 Plus for a year and now have the 6s. The 7 "Pro" could be the most magical iPhone in the world and I still wouldn't buy it if it was 5.5"! I just can't deal with phablets. I tried it out and it's just too much of a pain point in daily use. Never again ever for any reason, the end. Unless they make a 4.7" version, or somehow significantly reduce the bezels AND make it like 5.2" or something. I'm willing to pay more for a Pro version but I think the Pro name is kinda weird for the iPhone as it's always applied to being productive and getting a ton of work done like video, photo or audio editing. It has typically been targeted at creatives. What could they do with an iPhone Pro to target it at creatives? More RAM—but why? What do you need a ton of RAM for on an iPhone? Some people say camera. But Apple is always going to want to put the best camera into the regular iPhone because it's a huge selling point and a most-used feature. Maybe Apple Pencil support, which would be neat (like a little Moleskine) but much more of a niche feature when talking about the iPhone audience globally. Extra battery life (thicker) would be a likely addition. Think MacBook vs. MacBook Pro—the latter is thicker.