Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
I'm interested in the Satechi base with ports, designed for the Mac mini. What's your experience with it? Is it reliable and efficient? Does the aluminium material have exactly the same finish as the mini itself? Do you recommend this hub for a mini M2/M2 Pro, and how much is it? And what about the Bluetooth issue with the mini? Does this base solves or aggravate the issue?

71kgWkWydjL._AC_SY355_.jpg

satechi.jpg

EDIT: Here's the official web site with a video :

The Thunderbolt cable (on the back) doesn't seem to match the slot positions on the new Mac mini M2 (non-pro). So is there a problem here? And what about the air inlet that is located at the base of the mini? Is there a large enough gap between the base and the mini to let the fresh air to move in?

Last edited:

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I am also considering a hub, but will likely pass on this version of the Satechi. What I wish were different on this model were powered ports for charging other devices (seems to be data transfer only ports) and an NVME slot as opposed to SATA connection.

dartae

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2023
Thanks to the OP for asking this question–have been meaning to do so for a few days myself as I await my Mac Mini order. I would also be interested in any feedback/user experiences with this (or other similar) Mac Mini hub(s).

More specifically, I have been considering this hub as a solution for clutter-free additional storage. What's holding me back, primarily, is the lack of NVMe support. Not because I need the additional speed–this storage would mostly be for backups/media files for non-professional use–but rather because I'm having trouble finding a good selection of non-NVME, M.2 SATA SSDs (at least, on Amazon in France, where I'm located).

The main alternative I'm considering is an SSD from the Samsung T7 line. Should I just resign myself to cables and clutter and go with one of those?

Disclosure: I'm not well-versed in new drive tech (or brands) so if I got anything wrong (for example, the advantages of NVMe SSDs) please don't hesitate to educate me!

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
There’s the Qwiizlab UH25 Pro, which is powered. But I can find little feedback. The lack of charging is a problem for me on the Satechi.
Cool! I didn't knew there was a similar thing for the mini. We need opinions on this one too! May even be much better than the Satechi, if the ports may charge our peripherals, and if there are more options for the internal SSD. From their web site (images reduced for convenience here) :

UH25Pro_06_1024x1024@2x.jpg

UH25Pro_01_90b198cd-7b5d-4800-af35-7f7f42bb669c_1024x1024@2x.jpg

UH25Pro_04_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks to the OP for asking this question–have been meaning to do so for a few days myself as I await my Mac Mini order. I would also be interested in any feedback/user experiences with this (or other similar) Mac Mini hub(s).

More specifically, I have been considering this hub as a solution for clutter-free additional storage. What's holding me back, primarily, is the lack of NVMe support. Not because I need the additional speed–this storage would mostly be for backups/media files for non-professional use–but rather because I'm having trouble finding a good selection of non-NVME, M.2 SATA SSDs (at least, on Amazon in France, where I'm located).

The main alternative I'm considering is an SSD from the Samsung T7 line. Should I just resign myself to cables and clutter and go with one of those?

Disclosure: I'm not well-versed in new drive tech (or brands) so if I got anything wrong (for example, the advantages of NVMe SSDs) please don't hesitate to educate me!
I use a Samsung T7 1TB with my Mac Mini currently, its so small you can tape it under your desk an would never know its there. If you got something like a Thunderbolt Hub from OWC (what im probably going to buy unless I find an alternative today) you'd have more Thunderbolt ports to plug more drives into too

Reactions: dartae

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
If you got something like a Thunderbolt Hub from OWC (what im probably going to buy unless I find an alternative today) you'd have more Thunderbolt ports to plug more drives into too
CalDigit also has the Element Hub if you're looking for more Thunderbolt ports. Also gives you four USB-A 3.2 Gen2 ports vs the one on the OWC.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I know nothing about Qwiizlab but have and use one Satechi base.
The one I have is without ssd support so I won't be able to comment about that.
The finish is very nice, the fit is almost there, not perfect but not visually observable.
All in all is a good base with many ports.

I'm also interested in Qwiizlab because it seems to offer nvme ssd support.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I've had the Satechi base (version with the SSD) since July. I've been happy with it so far. Only issues I've had is the MicroSD card doesn't always show up - that said where my Mini is located it is a little awkward to access the MicroSD slot (and microSD slots are a little awkward in general). The SSD version doesn't take NVMe drives so you need to hunt down the M.2 drives instead (seems to be lot less choice for these).

The finish matches my M1 Mini well. I paid about £97 from Amazon (UK) and was thinking about picking up another for my M2 Mac Mini (when I finally get round to ordering it), but for some reason Amazon aren't listing it in the UK anymore - just the Hub/base without the SSD. I think i've been lucky with my M1 Mini and Bluetooth as I've not experienced any issues (so far).

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
CalDigit also has the Element Hub if you're looking for more Thunderbolt ports. Also gives you four USB-A 3.2 Gen2 ports vs the one on the OWC.
I might have to go with the OWC based on price on this one, thanks for showing this one though because arguably its much better.

pdxplm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
I used the Satechi with my M1 for several months and it worked fantastic. I'll be using it with my M2 pro which will be here next week. I put a 2TB m.2 in it and it was fast and cool....

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
I've used and reviewed a few of these Mac Mini docks/hubs (reviews here) and they are mostly white label products. These products look similar except with different brands.

The quality of these products is comparable so the brand is not important.

The colours silver and dark gray will match the Mac Mini.

Few things to note.

1. Those hubs that take one SSDs (either NVMe or SATA) usually can be powered by the single TB port. These hubs usually don't have enough power to power external spinning hard drives.

2. Hubs that take two SSDs (NVMe and/or SATA) usually require two cable connection, either 2x USB-C or 1x USB-C with external power. These can power external spinning hard drives.

Obviously get those hubs that support at least USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds (5Gbps). Those that support USB 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbps) are uncommon. 5Gbps is fast enough for 4K 30FPS video editing.

I personally don't like those hubs that require connection to power outlet.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2022
What about the headphone jack? I use the mini's back jack to connect speakers. If we insert headphones to the hub's front jack, does that shut up the speakers? I guess not.

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
What about the headphone jack? I use the mini's back jack to connect speakers. If we insert headphones to the hub's front jack, does that shut up the speakers? I guess not.
If the hub does not automatically switch audio output to the hub's 3.5mm port, you have to do that yourself.

Do it once and it will remember the old settings. If you switch back to Mac mini's 3.5mm port, you have to change audio output again.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"And what about the Bluetooth issue with the mini? Does this base solves or aggravate the issue?"

If anything, it looks like the "extra metal" may aggravate any bluetooth problems you're having.

As I mentioned in another thread:
The best way to overcome bt problems is to stop using bluetooth if possible, and use a wired connection instead.

Although, with that hub, I see a possible alternative course of action:
Buy a 3rd-party bluetooth/USB dongle.
Plug it into one of the forward-facing USB ports.
Set things up to use THAT instead of the built-in bt buried within the Mini.

SevenTimes

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
So I picked one of these up for my mini m2 pro and I have already initiated a return with Amazon. Worked well enough for my use, but I felt it was lacking in enough areas that I am willing to wait for an updated version which I am sure is coming. My main issues were the lack of NVME, and, for as much I it pains me to admit it, the fact that the colour matching was off (what can I say, the OCD won out). Knowing that an update is surely coming to address at least the nvme, I didn't feel like having to purchase another hub/drive as an upgrade and be stuck with a hub that would have no further use. I have seen the Qwiizlab alternative, but the lack of the fitted base made me decide against it, the Satechi does this well.

Reactions: Cham2000

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
I have the Qwiizlab UH25 Pro on order for my M2 Pro Mac mini and it arrives in about a week or so. I will report back how well (or not so well) it works using a Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVME and if there are any bluetooth issues with the Mac mini or heating issues with the hub.

I agree that I would prefer a hub that had a fitted base, but will give the Qwiizlab one a try and see how it works out. The lack of NVME on the Satechi and lack of ability to add external power to it was a drawback for me which made me decide on the Qwiizlab.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
what about heat dissipation of the mac mini? especially if you use an Nvme (which gets quite hot)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.