Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Dear macrumors friends,

I recently released an app, [app]Italian Video Recipes[/app] (website).
I had high expectation for this app but it's selling zero, one or two copies a day worldwide.

I think it has a good potential but it needs to be advertised to let interested users know that it exist. Waiting to find the best advertising solution, I was thinking it should sell a bit more so now I'm thinking that the app could be flawed.

I often shared thoughts and suggestions here so now I ask :
do you think this app could be interesting ? Does it have some evident flaw ? Could the size (440MB) be the problem ?

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have not looked at the app besides the Website and the iTunes link. It looks like it might be useful to some, but I think that it doesn't call out to the geek in us. But that's good, we need people outside this realm.

Do you offer a light version of the app. I will *NOT* buy any app until I have tried it. Maybe put one or two recipes in a light version so that people can get an idea of what you're selling. From the iTunes site it doesn't really look like videos, just images -- but it has video in the name.

Other advertising might be to hit up some of the food websites, give away a few free copies to members there, see if you can get it reviewed by a food website / magazine. Anything to get it out there and to get people interested.

Good Luck.

iTeleport

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Looks like a nice solid app with good design.

+1 on doing a lite version with a couple of examples so we know what we're buying.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'll check the Lite version when it is up (i'm actually flat out of iTunes cash right now) - and thanks for not requiring 3.0. Hmmm, maybe i'll put it to the test with the 13yo in the house!

BUT, i wanted to say that you (and a few others) really stand out in my mind about wanting feedback, using the feedback, and overall come across as a developer i want to support. Did i say this the other day? I typed it up - but think i didn't post it. Anyway, thanks for that!

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I think the suggestion to find cooking sites to post or advertise on is the best one here. MacRumors is populated by people with other obsessions besides cooking. My spouse is an avid and creative cook and might find this interesting. She is especially interested in Italian cooking right now, following a visit last summer to villages in Italy. But she will never troll the App Store, and she won't ever look at a site like this. She does have an iPod touch, which she likes a lot, so I think she would be a good customer, but getting her and people like her to see it would be the challenge. One thing that might work would be to find bulletin boards where people ask and answer cooking questions. When you find one your app covers, you could get a plug in for it.

I think this approach sounds like a lot of work, though. But you have to find some avenue for publicity outside of the tech pages and the morass of the App Store.

Edit: For those not familiar with this developer, she does first class work.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
TraceyS/FL, iFerd,

User's comments are always the way to make a product better.
Thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.