"Users (from old mac)" folder - after migration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gkerr4, Oct 23, 2009.

1. gkerr4 macrumors member

Hi folks - hoping you can help me here with a quick question.

I recently (a few months ago actually!) got a new unibody 15" macbook pro which I love - when I set it up I migrated from my time-machine backup and it seemed to go pretty seamless - I have since upgraded to snow leopard and all is good with the world.

Now my new unibody machine has a 320Gb drive where my old machine was quite small so I was shocked to see that i have already used 220Gb - but looking at the macHD at the root I can the usual, 'library', 'applications', 'system' and 'users' - but also see lots of unusual folders:

"users (from old mac)" - which is 55Gb and last modified before I bought my new unibody - can this be safely deleted now?

also there are a few folders which have a little arrow pointing into the folder on the bottom left hand corner - what are they? The specific folders are:

'tmp (from old mac)'
    'etc (from old mac)'
    'user guides and information'

these are all just 4k on disc so am I assuming they are just shortcuts?

Any other tips for free-ing up space in a post-migration mac?

any help much appreciated.

thanks

2. gkerr4 thread starter macrumors member

3. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

pretty sure is safe to delete the old user folder, i dont recall seeing the such on my migration though

I'd suggest backing up again, deleting it, restart and see if you're okay. If yes, then great, if not, revert back to the backup