Users on another HD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Ashwee, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ashwee macrumors member

Ashwee

Hi all, not posted here in a while so a big ello :-D
    I've got a Mac mini 2011 and I've purchased the second HD cable and all the bits, but A bit of a question....
    I've ordered a small SDD to put the OS on (128GB) theres not enough room for all my music pictures etc....
    Is it best I tell OS X to store the Users folder on the second HD (7200 RPM drive) and if so how do I go about that with the settings... Also will this reduce performance as the OS is constantly in negotiation with the Users folder isnt it for settings etc?
    Hope someone can help

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can of course move your entire user folder to a separate drive.....I don't have the instructions for that, maybe someone else can provide them. One note.....if you do that....make sure however that you create another admin user that lives on the boot SSD drive. That way, if the other drive that has your user folder on it dies....you can still boot your system with the other user.

Me personally, I have my user folder on my 120GB SSD, I just manually moved things like iTunes library, Aperture library to another drive and created Aliases to them from within the folders in my user account.

-Kevin

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I believe you can redirect the user folder location under "User/Group" pref panel. Hold down the option key when selecting a users account and you should see an advanced setting option. Of course, you will want to copy over the existing folders first, so they exist.

And I agree with leaving an admin on the boot drive for convenience in troubleshooting/recovery.