/users/username deleted - How do u delete?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Hi,

I created a tempory login called 'temp' [path /user/temp], I then removed it, however I did not know that the dir would not actually be removed, it has now been put into my ownership as "/user/temp deleted". Does anyone know how I can delete the folder?

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i think this would work:

make sure the root user is enabled in the NetInfo Manager (the app in the utilities folder) -- do this by going to Domain>Security>Authenticate & then authenticate as an administrator.... then Donmain>Security>Enable root user (you'll have to enter a password for root)

then in the terminal: type "su" and then the root password you assigned

then "cd /users"

and finally "rm -rf username" replace username with the username (of course :))

i hope that works!

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
if you dont like the terminal

You can also log in as root at the login screen. Like kishba said you must have root enabled. The in the login preffs.. make it so that there is an "Other" option. Then you can log in as root and use the GUI if you want to.. but becareful loging in as root and using the shell to su to root.. you can do some real damage if your not carfull

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
You can also boot up into OS9 and delete it there where it doesn't recognise root ownership. Just make sure you don't delete much else. If you delete all the users there, you'll find that when you get back into OSX, preference tabs in the system preferences don't exist and you'll have to reinstall.

-Dreg-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.