Uses for a 2009 24" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Handle, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Handle macrumors regular

I'd like to get a new Mac. The only thing holding me up is the fact that my 2009 24" iMac is still going strong.

The only thing I could think to do with it is use it as a second monitor for my new Mac, is that possible?

I doubt it's worth much to sell and I'd hate to throw it away or let it sit in the closet.

2. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

It is not possible via Apple's Target Display mode as the 24" iMac was not supported. If you scroll down to the table on this page you can see what models are supported.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

There may be some software solutions. Just a quick search and I found this one:
    http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

Other uses for your old iMac:
    - use it as a web server for documents / website
    - buy some IP cameras and set up a home monitoring / video security system.

I'm sure others will have some good suggestions.

3. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Depending on the specs you might be able to get $600 for it if you do sell it.

Otherwise I'd put it in another room and just use it for Office, or I'd install XBMC in conjunction with the Apple remote, and use it as a bedroom/kitchen tv.

4. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.
    It's a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 8 Gigs of Ram and 640 Gig HD. I upgraded to the newer wireless mouse. I'd take $600 in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure if I could get it. I tried Gazelle, they said $217 and I hear that once you send it in they will try to lower that price on you. So after shipping, it wouldn't be worth it.

5. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Looks like they are running around the low 5's on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=2009+imac+24&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

You might consider dropping in a SSD and some ram... that really sped up my white 2009 Macbook.

...or take the $500 from ebay, and for 829 (9-something minus the best buy educational discount (there's threads on how to get an edu address if you don't have one)) you can get a new 21.5" imac with 8gb ram and a 500gb drive...

--rob

6. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I'm using the iMac right now. Great machine. I upgraded to a 2T drive a couple years ago.
    I'd like to upgrade to a 27" iMac, but my present 24" runs great.

7. Roller macrumors 68020

We have a 2009 iMac that my wife uses - it runs Mavericks reasonably well and does everything she needs (word processing, web viewing, email). So you may want to keep it to use in another room, depending on your situation.

If you don't want to or can't sell it for some reason, donate it to an organization and take the tax deduction (assuming that applies where you live.)

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'm confident you'd get 500-600 on eBay. I've had mostly good experiences selling on eBay. Be prepared to lose about $80 of your sale to eBay if you go that route. You can also list it for free on your local Craigslist or Kijiji and see if it garners any interest. Worst case scenario you pull the ad, and continue to use it.

9. icemantx macrumors regular

I still use my 24" 2009 iMac every day

There is a lot you can still do with a 24" iMac. Depending on what you do, it may be about the same or slightly slower than a current iMac (web browsing, iWork, email) or significantly slower (video editing, iMovie, Handbrake). In either case, the 24" iMac is still usable, all be it some tasks take magnitudes longer to complete.

However, I will say the way I kept mine going was to remove the DVD and put in a 256GB SSD and create a DIY Fusion drive with a 2TB HDD.

That said, using external USB 2.0 devices can be a chore depending on what you are transferring and my screen is starting to dim.

All in all though, after nearly 5 1/2 years, the old 24" iMac is still holding up surprisingly well.

Jeff

10. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Always nice to have a "Tasker" mac sitting around, not to mention it's a backup machine if there are ever problems with the new one.

Yes, it's worth a little money, so you could swap it for a second monitor.

11. thesimplelogic macrumors regular

I agree with the others :) keep it as a backup machine, or you could set it up as a movie/music machine or server.

12. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly, in 20+ years of using a computer I have had older machines sitting around and never used any of them for anything other than dust collectors. I have an older Windows laptop sitting in the closet as a backup machine if I ever need it, but it's never been touched since I got the iMac in 2009.

I used to make servers out of older computers, but I'm not into that type of thing anymore.