Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
So I switched to an iPhone 7+ after giving the S7E a try for a few months. So I have a wireless charger for it and with AOD I find that if I plug it in on the charging stand on the headboard of the bed I now have the world's most advanced alarm clock. I mean it really is great.

I am being somewhat sarcastic and thought of giving it to my friend but it actually does work really well for this. "Okay google" set alarm. It is constantly charging and I can take it out of the case, so the time is always displayed and in view. It is a nice time display that doesn't bother you trying to sleep.

I just set it up like this today but will experiment what else I can do with only google voice controls from the comfort of bed. I can leave my iPhone in the other room and use this if I do want to do some surfing or watch some movies loaded on it. Because it is wireless it is much nicer to grab the phone in the dark should I wake from sleep and need to google something or search something.

If somebody has a better use for it as a secondary device give me your ideas. I don't mean ideas such as selling it. What do you people that have two phones do with the one you no longer use as your daily driver?

My roommate is laughing at me being this excited about this but I told him you can't find a better clock on the market anywhere. :)

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
How about using it to serve a Chromecast..voice controlled TV

I have an LG hooked up to Apple TV so yeah it did occur to me to try use it for something like you describe but my set up isn't ideal for that.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Literally anything you like:

- alarm clock (like you say)
- surfing web
- any app you want
- glorified iPod Touch (I have an old Moto G for this, perfect)
- you could play around with NFC triggers
- music/speaker system for the shower (hey, it's waterproof!)
- unit for the car (for music is has micro-SD so again, glorified iPod Touch)

I dunno, the possibilities are almost endless. And if you are using it in a limited capacity and don't need to sell it, it could probably do the same job for 4-5 years without problems.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sadly I would love to offer a use, but I have 5 phones, I have two SIM cards. My work phone is always an iPhone (in this case an iPhone 7) the other Android handsets I keep a sim in one of them with Data plan and use it as my main music and messing device - the others sit on my bedside table as I swap between them but at any stage there are at times 3 or 4 devices sat doing mostly nothing ...

Reactions: Channan

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Literally anything you like:

- alarm clock (like you say)
- surfing web
- any app you want
- glorified iPod Touch (I have an old Moto G for this, perfect)
- you could play around with NFC triggers
- music/speaker system for the shower (hey, it's waterproof!)
- unit for the car (for music is has micro-SD so again, glorified iPod Touch)

I dunno, the possibilities are almost endless. And if you are using it in a limited capacity and don't need to sell it, it could probably do the same job for 4-5 years without problems.

Thanks for the reply. Alarm clock shower stereo. for the man that has everything. What you said is true it will probably last for at least 5 years.

Reactions: JaySoul

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The display is gorgeous so you can also use it as a digital photo album.

I also find it really pleasant to read news apps and even web pages on the S7 Edge. In fact, it's the only smart phone I've tried so far that could possibly replace my iPad if my IPad were to break down.
Sadly I would love to offer a use, but I have 5 phones, I have two SIM cards. My work phone is always an iPhone (in this case an iPhone 7) the other Android handsets I keep a sim in one of them with Data plan and use it as my main music and messing device - the others sit on my bedside table as I swap between them but at any stage there are at times 3 or 4 devices sat doing mostly nothing ...
Lol, my brother from another mother...I am getting more and more like you, I think. At least I will be when my Pixel arrives. 2 sims and four phones...two Android and two iPhones. :D

Reactions: MRU

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I agree the screen is brilliant. Will probably load it up with content to view on road trips. I had some trouble with mine as well with charging. So I can't say the build was perfect. There were too many minor flaws. I really did try to love this phone but in the end it just wasn't meant to be.

Now as a secondary device I can enjoy everything that is good about it though. So in a way I now have the best of both worlds so no complaints here.
[doublepost=1477324672][/doublepost]Content consumption on flights and trips makes a lot of sense. Then the phone I use for communication always has fresh batteries even after a long trip. I can sleep well and love my Samsung still.

Reactions: MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If your into gaming, you could get a move Bluetooth controller and use it as a portable game system. Android has some really good emulators for classic gaming systems (NES, SNES, Sega, PlayStation 1, N64, etc).

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
So similar to my use, except I don't really have a work phone. I have a separate phone I use at work, though.

When I get home, I plug in my Galaxy S7 Edge and turn on the hotspot. I have unlimited data, so it's my main source of internet. I don't touch it while I'm at home. I normally only use my iPads at home, but if I need a phone for anything (really just for music in the shower or while walking my dogs), I use my Moto X.

I work literally a minute's drive from home, and I don't use my phone at work that much, so I bring my iPhone SE to work so when I get off, I can go home and grab my Galaxy S7 Edge and the battery is at 100%.

Sometimes I feel ridiculous using so many devices, but the service on my iPhone SE and Moto X is free, and my devices are already paid for, so why not use them? I can't be bothered selling them and at least they're not just sitting there gathering dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.