Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi Chaps,

I have an old Mac G3 that still happily boots up and runs various progs (although it struggles with things like Flash) and I don't really have much use for it any more.

I run PCs in the rest of the house, although, I have AppleTV, two iPhones 4s and an iPad.

I was wondering what I could do with this old G3 to give it a new lease of life. It only has LAN (so no wifi), and I don't have anywhere to connect it to my network.

What would you guys reccommend I do with it to make it useful?

Best,

CDC

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
without a network connection, I'd say it's pretty much useless. If you want to learn about linux, you could install linux - but that will also disappoint if you later want to connect to the network (no Flash Player for powerPC).

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
without a network connection, I'd say it's pretty much useless. If you want to learn about linux, you could install linux - but that will also disappoint if you later want to connect to the network (no Flash Player for powerPC).

Are there any decent (and cheap) USB wifi dongles would work with it?

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
I've never used a USB WiFi.
Look here - one from Newer Tech:
http://eshop.macsales.com/search/USB+wireless
(I think the biggest issue will be whether there is a driver for your OS version - or if a driver is even required.)

It would be fun to try to make the computer useful. But, don't spend too much. Even after any upgrades, the computer will only be worth $30-50.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
I've never used a USB WiFi.
Look here - one from Newer Tech:
http://eshop.macsales.com/search/USB+wireless
(I think the biggest issue will be whether there is a driver for your OS version - or if a driver is even required.)

It would be fun to try to make the computer useful. But, don't spend too much. Even after any upgrades, the computer will only be worth $30-50.

Ah, thanks - I should have said I'm in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.