Uses for old iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Jul 26, 2015.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I usually keep all of my old iPhones. The 3 and 4 are a little outdated. My kids were using my iPhone 5 on WiFi at their Mom's until they got iPads. I got the phone back and am wondering what to do with it. It has to have some type of interesting use besides going into a drawer. I've thought about selling it. Looks like I can get a few hundred dollars if I do that (32GB AT&T). There are a few apps that I can download to use it as a security camera at home. That's something I'm considering. What are some other options?

2. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Keep a prepay SIM in there and leave it in your car in case of an emergency/iPod for working out/spare phone/doorstop.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Sell it to someone for a few hundred dollars who will use it. No use just letting it sit in a drawer and depreciate in value.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree. It's a waste having a bunch of old devices sitting there collecting dust.
    I keep one for backup and sell the rest.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

We keep all of our old phones.

I mainly put mine to use as media devices. I do not know what my wife does with hers.

As media devices they are great. Music, video, wifi, games for the kids, etc.

If someone I know needs a phone I give it away. Both my wife and I gave away our HTC Touch Pros which allowed two people on Sprint SERO to retain their $30-45/month completely unlimited plans.

A friend of mine got my 3GS exactly when he needed a new phone.

At some point I'm pretty sure I'll be able to gift someone with my iPhone 5.

This is why I never sell my phones when I am done with them.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sell them, recycle them, give them to a charity.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Donate them to your local school that can't afford its own 1:1 program. If you live in an affluent area, I'll be happy to take them and provide a receipt so you can have a tax write-off. We are constantly begging for old phones/tablets. We will never be a 1:1 school, but it's nice to have all our students able to go online to use some of the amazing tools currently available.

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Keep at least one around as a backup phone. I have a 3GS thats ready to roll if my 6 acts up. Its also nice to have if I got to the lake or camping and don't want to risk damaging or losing the nicer phone. I'll also throw the sim card in the 3GS and take it with me if I know i'll be getting dirty at work and don't wanna cover the nice phone in grease. eBay has nice little micro to SIM card adapters for cheap, or you can make one out of an old credit card.

9. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I've sold several older iPhones on eBay and have always been pleased with the final selling price.

10. entropi macrumors 6502

I also keep my old iPhones as mediadevices. My iPhone 3G 16 GB is a musicplayer & radio connected to my stereo system. When my iPhone 4 32 GB stops being my main phone it will probably also will be connected to my hifi or be my e-book library back up unit.... There's lot's of uses!

11. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Keep one for traveling/backpacking. I am currently traveling for 2.5 weeks and wishing I had a iPhone 4s or 5s. Carrying a 6 around strictly for text, calls, maps, and light internet is too much size. The loud/target factor is also a concern. Take a cheaper phone you care less about in case you get mugged or gets stolen.

12. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

iOS Beta Devices! That's what I plan on using my 6 for when I upgrade to the 6s+ this fall :)

13. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I would suggest selling it as well...

Someone will get a lot of future enjoyment out of it!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I sell mine, so I don't have a collection. It helps offset the cost of the next model I get.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Agreed. We used a couple older iPhone 5 last time we traveled overseas. I gave those away and next time, will probably use our current 6/6+ (after we upgrade).

16. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I tend to pass my devices down or sell them either to get a cheaper upgrade or just because I don't need it anymore. Sometimes you make a good sale with a decent final price, sometimes not.

17. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

I get them unlocked by AT&T and use them for international travel using local SIMs. Plus they are worth more unlocked if you decide to sell here or abroad.