Uses for old Macbook RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPark, Apr 28, 2007.

1. JPark macrumors 6502a

I'm finally upgrading to 2GB this week (yay!) on my Macbook. I've already got RAM sitting around collecting dust from my mac mini upgrade and I'd like to avoid that happening with my old macbook RAM.

So...does anyone have any suggestions for what I can use 2 512MB sticks of macbook RAM for? Have any somewhat recent apple computers used the same kind of RAM?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope. The only machines that use this RAM are intel Macs and CoreDuo/Core2Duo PC laptops... all of which are in the same boat - came with 512's and have to get rid of them.

3. JPark thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd rather donate them to a good home. I was hoping they'd work in an older mac 'cause I have a few friends that can't buy new macs yet. It looks like I'll have to give it to one of my PC friends. (Is that prosecutable for aiding and abetting RAM abuse? :eek: )

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I used them to make pretty jewelry. except I have two 512 sticks. almost sold them 4 times though each time something came up. :mad: (imagine the left eye twitching)

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

You could make keychains out of them. I did that with an old 16Mb stick from an old Compaq barely running Windows 3.1. I also made a keychain out of an old Pentium 2 400Mhz processor.

And yes people do laugh and shake their head when they see it.

All though, making a keychian out of DDR2 RAM seems sack religious at this point. Maybe wait 5 more years.:D

6. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

lol send it this way:p for the cost of nothing i'd take one! I only have 512 in my MBP :( I think I need an upgrade lol.

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

pay the damn shipping and maybe a little tip and I'll send a 512stick. oh wait your in Canada *backs up and hisses* :rolleyes: (<- <- notice the sarcasm)

8. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

lol Rokem if your serious I so would

9. ElCambo macrumors regular

Planning on buying a macbook and upgrading the ram myself. Can anyone tell me if this ram will be compatible with the macbook. I live in Singapore so the prices below are in SG dollars.

Infitron PC2-5300 667MHz -1GB- DDR2 SO-DIMM
    SGD65.00

TWINMOS PC2-5300 667MHz -1GB- DDR2 SO-DIMM
    SGD75.00

10. munckee macrumors 65816

Or hang onto them in case you ever need to send the machine in for warranty work? That's my plan for my extras (once I get a computer :rolleyes: )

11. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

That's why I desire a 2gb 1 DIMM config.

Lenovo offers it with the T-61....

/me hopes apple offers the option in a mbp.

And as for uses....

Toothbrush.