Uses for old Verizon iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BigDukeSix, Aug 22, 2013.

1. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

With the upcoming release of the newest iPhone, it will be time to upgrade from my Verizon iPhone 4. However, I will probably keep my old phone. I have tried to google how to set up my deactived phone for use as an iPod touch (or iPad mini mini) , but am not having much luck finding the correct answer. So, what are the first steps I would need to do to keep my old phone useable, and other than iMessage and Facetime, what will it no longer be able to do? Thanks for the help.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Pretty sure Verizon will have to deactivate when you get your new iPhone.

3. BigDukeSix thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I know they will deactive the phone number, but I am sure the device can certainly still be used with proper setup. The guidance on what I need to do in that regard is what I am looking for.

4. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I did this for 2 weeks with my iPhone 4. After Verizon deactivates it, just restore it and use it like any iPod Touch. You can't make calls because the phone is deactivated, and can't rake up charges.

Sadly, I found no use for it so I sold it.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's actually completely useful. I have an AT&T 32GB iPhone 3GS that my sister gave me for Christmas in 2011. I'm on Sprint so there is no way to activate it.

But you can make calls and text with it still. Get a Google voice number. Install Talkatone and set up your GV account (Talkatone makes this easy). Free calls in the US and free SMS/MMS. You can still iMessage and use email just like always. Just use the Talkatone app and put the old Phone app somewhere else.

The only caveat is that you have to be on WiFi. So, for about a year I had a completely functional secondary phone until I got my iPhone 5. Now the 3GS is serving as a media center at home and as a game/video machine for my kids.

I also use my 3GS as a test bed. Anything I might want to try on my iPhone 5 that could potentially cause me to have to restore I try first on my 3GS.

6. BigDukeSix thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Good info. Thanks! I assume you just did a restore on your old phone to make it useable after it was deactivated?

7. eyoungren, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I had my sister do a restore before she gave it to me.

At the time I had an HTC Touch Pro as my primary phone, but I was planning on getting the iPhone 5 when Sprint finally got it. So, I took getting the 3GS as an opportunity to experience and learn the Apple iOS ecosystem. So, when I got it from her it was a brand new setup and I went from there (I didn't want any of her old stuff, wanted to experience it as a brand new device (to me anyway)).

Oh yeah, the Talkatone app also has voicemail, courtesy of Google Voice, so you really are NOT missing anything except a cellular connection to use it on. But as long as you're on WIFi, you're good. Talkatone will push calls and messages to the lockscreen if locked. Periodically you have to reopen the app, but that's Apple's backgrounding limitations, not Talkatone.