Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Did you ever get your computers, or are you still in limbo waiting on them?

I'm in limbo, of course. Basically what happened was I talked to him at the beginning of the past week and he told me that the class wasn't fully set up yet, and he didn't know if any of the students would still need a G4 for CAD. He told me to check back with him in a week or so (which would be this week) so I will and hopefully will know then how many I can have and when I can take them. He also told me that I am top priority when it comes to someone taking the computers, whether it be for recycling or for someone to keep.

At this point I'm looking to get them and sell most of them because I could use the money. I need to buy a new battery for my iBook since I'm using it in school and the battery barely lasts me the whole day, and I want to get a new 1TB SSHD for my MBP because the old hard drive is not working right and I could use more space.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Update

Ok... so I talked to the teacher today and he said he is ready to give them to me, however, he needs to make sure that the actual owner, a retired teacher, is fine with me taking them. He sent him an email basically saying "Is it ok for me to get rid of some/all of the computers as we discussed previously? We were planning to upgrade to a newer CAD version which requires a new computer anyway,".

So that is my update of the day. Now I'm 95% sure I can get them this week depending on how quickly the teacher replies. But, as my luck always turns south, I'm sure it will be another week or so until I can take them.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, some sad news. The owner of all the computers let me know that they are owned by the state through a grant from 2000. The school would have to call the state to ask them if it's ok to dispose of them. So my free G4s go out the window, for right now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm just going to say this right here…

Two years back I was using an iBook G3 as a Time Machine backup server. Had it sitting off behind everything connected to the network via ethernet. I was running two 500GB HDs off an unpowered hub connected to it's USB 1.1 port.

After doing initial backup via firewire I set this up and it worked very well. The iBook was running Tiger with less than 1GB of ram.
It's kind of bugged me that I didn't have a picture of this when I mentioned it, but it turns out I did. Ran across it today.

So…quoting my own post to show the pic. Note however, that this was before I hooked up the two drives via USB.

RedCroissant and Altemose note that this iBook G3 is one of the three I gave RedCroissant in payment for my Quicksilver.

Attachments

• 2013-11-10 10.39.03.jpg
    2013-11-10 10.39.03.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It's kind of bugged me that I didn't have a picture of this when I mentioned it, but it turns out I did. Ran across it today.

So…quoting my own post to show the pic. Note however, that this was before I hooked up the two drives via USB.

RedCroissant and Altemose note that this iBook G3 is one of the three I gave RedCroissant in payment for my Quicksilver.

Isn't that the one that went to RedCroissant's brother? I know I got the 900 MHz model which I still use often.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Isn't that the one that went to RedCroissant's brother? I know I got the 900 MHz model which I still use often.
Not sure, but most likely.

Got it from my mom in 2009 when my TiBook died. Didn't actually use it until I got called for jury duty one day. That's when I found out the Airport antenna was crap and since I hadn't really looked at the Mac before using it I found myself on OS X 10.1!

Yay Beaumont Unified School District! :rolleyes:

My son used it for about two years or so before I got him the TiBook. Used to take him to Starbucks with it and run an ethernet cable from my 17" PB to it so he could share internet access. When I got him the TiBook is when I got this back and so that's why it ended up being where it was until Red got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.