Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanon14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Hi all,

I've been gaming in Windows 7 under bootcamp on my 15" 2.53 UBMBP for some time now and I'm quite satisfied with the performance. The game I play is Lord of the Ring Online and as some of you may know it is not a new game (~2 years old) but it is quite demanding nonetheless.

Just yesterday I was thinking about hooking up the MBP with my old 24" Dell so I can get a bigger screen and higher resolution. However what concerns me is that if I do connect the Dell to the MBP, do I need to close the lid or I can leave it on because as the video card is working it produces quite a lot of heat. Leaving the lid on would be better for air flow. If I leave the lid open, will it be shut off (as in, dark) because I really do not need dual screen, or will I be forced to use it as a secondary monitor as well?

One final question, will the 9600M be able to handle the game if I use an external monitor with higher resolution(preferable in 1600x1200 or even better 1900x1200)?

Thanks guys!

jdm905

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
I would like to know also. I'm thinking about the same setup but for Counter Strike source at 1920x1200 on a external monitor and how well it handles.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
What you can do is plug in your external monitor, close the lid of the macbook to put it to sleep...and with an external mouse wake your macbook. then just open the lid and it will stay off...

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
i noticed that if i close mine and dont use smc and/or a cool pad mine gets pretty hot, if i use both it drops the temp at least 30c. I dont have a uni, but still. Room temp also matters alot as well. Almost forgot, i have a Dell 22" 1920x1080

sixmac

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
I just got the new 24" apple screen, got the same macbook pro (2.53ghz, 4 gig ram, 9600 GT with 512 ram), I use vista bootcamp for games, can run left for dead and team fortress 2 (1920X1200) with settings default to high/very high very nicely. I found in company of heroes at full res with settings high/very high it felt like the frame rate just dipped a little so took the res down one notch and that improved it. :)

I just turn the brightness down on the laptop (lid up) till the screen goes off and just have the one 24" running. I think it is better if you make the desktop extended also, well it has not melted yet anyway :confused:

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
While I haven't tried this myself apple says this about all MBP models (15 & 17)

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

kanon14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll go get a dvi adapter today after work and try it. I may even install the new Windows 7 RC on it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.