Using 1Password for MORE than web passwords?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doju, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I find 1Password to be amazing, but my one complaint is that it doesn't seem easy to make logins for anything other than a web password.

What about for my wireless password? To my school education account? My OS X password? Skype? AIM? MSN?

Can anyone explain how to do this? I know I could just leave the website field blank, but that seems like a pitiful work around. Any other options?

2. njl macrumors regular

you should really consider asking the same question at the Agile forums.. the dev's are totally cool and WILL get around to chatting with you. :)

great question, btw and I agree with you.

3. springyfox macrumors member

I just use secure notes within 1Password for noting down WPA passwords etc

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Check out KeePassX- it's less picky than 1Password about what kind of info you store.

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think that in 1Password you only have the Secure Notes field for stuff like that.

I'll second KeePassX. It's a decent port of KeePass on the Windows side. Does the job for me for just simply storing passwords (not integrating with the browser). The other nice thing is that KeePassX files can be read on the PC by KeePass.

-Kevin

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And on Linux, for that matter.

7. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I also use Secure Notes in 1Password for this, but storing it in as a "login" isn't that had either. Remember the search-feature, and remember that it only searches in one category :(

8. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

would like those features implemented as well

9. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Don't you find 1P unsecure? For instance even if the software is closed but your laptop is on with the browser on...you just need to click on the 1P icon and go&fill in login then unassign and hit the website you want to...if it is your bank for instance anyone can access your bank account from your browser?

Did i miss something or is it really a risk? I have been using it for 10min only so maybe i missed something...
    X

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Check in the settings. There are lots of options to make it lock quicker. You have to balance security with convience based on where you use it.

-Kevin

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Not familiar with this - what's the advantage in using this over Keychain Access?

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

13. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Another quesion...i have downloaded 1P3...is that a free download or do i have a trial version? On their website i see you can buy 1password??? If I have to buy 40$ 1P2 then 20$ to upgrade to 1P3 and then 4$ for the iphone version it sounds reallt to expensive for such a sw. I am ok buyibg the iphone app but not the mac computer version.

Otherwise do you know what the diff is between the 1P & 1P Pro iphone app?

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

1Password is a pay application. So yes, you have a 30 day trial.

Any purchases for v2.0 will allow you to get v3.0 for free when it comes out. Plus I think once you buy v2.0, you might be able to get the beta v3.0.

I don't know anything about the iPhone apps.

-Kevin

15. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Ok thanks Kevin.

Wow that is a bit too much i think even though this sw is good...from what i read on their website you need to pay 40$ for 1P2 and another 20$ for the 1P3 upgrade...that is ridiclously expensive.
    Nothing tells me i have a 30 days trial version....but i will wait and see.

Attached Files:

16. dbwie macrumors 6502

I use SecretBox for web passwords, software serial numbers, credit card numbers, my passport number, and more. It also has a companion iPhone app and you can sync the desktop app with the iPhone app.

http://www.app4mac.com/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=15&sl=EN&currency=usd

It's a little pricey. It works with Snow Leopard and they are releasing a major update in two weeks (which is free if you buy the current version now).

17. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

That's only if you already owned 1P v2.0.

From this page:
    https://agilewebsolutions.com/store

You'll see the box about not needing to buy an upgrade to 3.0 if you purchase 2.0 today.

My opinion.....it's well worth the $40 for the Mac app itself.

-Kevin

Attached Files: