Using 2 Airports

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
740
1
UK
Can I do this.....

Have Airport #1 connected to Hifi setup #1 & internet.

Then have Airport #2 connected to a separate setup?

Should be ok right?

thanks
 

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
1,023
0
London, UK
rossoUK said:
Can I do this.....

Have Airport #1 connected to Hifi setup #1 & internet.

Then have Airport #2 connected to a separate setup?

Should be ok right?

thanks
How do you mean 'separate setup'? you mean a second hifi? If this is the case, you will only be able to stream to one hifi at once I think.

If you have two airports, you should consider creating one wireless network with them. Set one airport up as a mian basestation, and then have the second one join this network as a remote basestation - it extends the network and is a lot neater than having to keep switch between networks if you have two separate ones.
 

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
740
1
UK
Gee said:
How do you mean 'separate setup'? you mean a second hifi? If this is the case, you will only be able to stream to one hifi at once I think.

If you have two airports, you should consider creating one wireless network with them. Set one airport up as a mian basestation, and then have the second one join this network as a remote basestation - it extends the network and is a lot neater than having to keep switch between networks if you have two separate ones.
Ahh good idea! Should I get the extreme then? Basically I have a home cinema setup in my bedroom and I wanna send music from the computer to that. Its in the front of the room and my computer setup is nearer the back. I'd like to retain the computer's audio setup as the Airport is connected to my modem too.
 

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
1,023
0
London, UK
rossoUK said:
Ahh good idea! Should I get the extreme then? Basically I have a home cinema setup in my bedroom and I wanna send music from the computer to that. Its in the front of the room and my computer setup is nearer the back. I'd like to retain the computer's audio setup as the Airport is connected to my modem too.
The extreme has an extra ethernet port for cabling in other devices (playstation online, ethernet hard disk, other computer etc) but won't do airtunes, so you won't be able to use it to stream music.

If you setup two airport expresses as one network, you can select which one you want to send music to on the little menu in iTunes, without having to switch networks.