Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

editonmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
SoCal
Hey everyone,

After doing much research, I cannot find an answer to my question, and I hope someone here might be able to help. I have a 2009 Mac Pro under my desk, and I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard and a Magic Mouse with. The keyboard works perfectly, but the mouse has had some issues with tracking being somewhat inaccurate. I read this is due to the range of the internal bluetooth adapter on the system, and most people fix the issue with a USB adapter. The problem with USB adapters is that they don't let bluetooth devices wake the computer.
So, basically, I was wondering: Would it be possible to use both the internal and USB BT adapters at the same time? In other words, have the keyboard paired to the internal BT adapter so I can wake my computer from sleep, and have the magic mouse on the USB adapter at the same time so I can have precise tracking?
Thanks!

macguy93

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
it's weird that the keyboard works perfectly fine and not the mouse.. I wonder if its just these magic Mouses that are the issue. I have a 2012 Mac Pro and have the same issue with my mouse too. Every now and then the mouse will be glitchy and for someone like myself always working in photoshop or after effects it tends to screw up my accuracy. I was thinking about getting a new mouse in hopes of a new one that will work better but it seems this may be a common issue. I'm almost ready to go back to the old scroll ball mouse.. This may be totally irrelevant, but perhaps it's the batteries?

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
I bought refurb. 2010 MP, and after 2 days i got USB - Bluetooth dongle. Magic Mouse does not work properly with integrated BT.

With that dongle I paired: Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, BT Alu keyboard and everyhing is working fine except one thing: you can not enter EFI boot menu with dongle Bluetooth. Only keyboards paired with integrated BT can enter EFI boot menu. One interesting thing: with integrated BT and BT Alu keyboard I could enter EFI boot menu only on power on, but not after restart. Solution for me is: select Boot OS throught Start Up disc in preferences. Ende :D

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
The keyboard works perfectly, but the mouse has had some issues with tracking being somewhat inaccurate.

What is your surface like that you are using the mouse on? I had all kinds of problems with my Magic Mouse on a dark surface. The surface absorbed the "lazer" too much and thus caused issues with smooth movements and correct tracking. The fix was using a piece of paper under my Magic Mouse, but then eventually I replaced it with a Logitech for comforter reasons.

editonmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
SoCal
it's weird that the keyboard works perfectly fine and not the mouse.. I wonder if its just these magic Mouses that are the issue. I have a 2012 Mac Pro and have the same issue with my mouse too. Every now and then the mouse will be glitchy and for someone like myself always working in photoshop or after effects it tends to screw up my accuracy. I was thinking about getting a new mouse in hopes of a new one that will work better but it seems this may be a common issue. I'm almost ready to go back to the old scroll ball mouse.. This may be totally irrelevant, but perhaps it's the batteries?

What is your surface like that you are using the mouse on? I had all kinds of problems with my Magic Mouse on a dark surface. The surface absorbed the "lazer" too much and thus caused issues with smooth movements and correct tracking. The fix was using a piece of paper under my Magic Mouse, but then eventually I replaced it with a Logitech for comforter reasons.

I use a maple hardwood desk. What I forgot to mention above is that before my Mac Pro, I had a MacBook Pro that sat on my desk, which I used to use as my main computer. No matter where on the desk (even on the desk behind mine), the mouse worked fine with the MBP, which leads me to believe the issue is with BT reception on the MP, not the mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.