Using 2 Drobo's and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TwoBytes, May 20, 2009.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Can i do this?:

imac connected to two external HD's (drobos)

imac and DROBO-1 being backed up with time machine to DROBO-2

I know TM can backup external drives.. my drobo will have 3tb worth of data!
    Is there anything i should do in preparation? IE, disk space wise?

Thanks! :)

2. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

Yep should work fine... Just select Drobo 2 as the backup then you will have to go into Time Machine Utilities under options and maker sure the 1st drobo is not in the do not back up list. As far as preparation goes, as long as your drobo registers with enough Space to hold all your data you should be fine... However, be prepared for a super long first backup for 3TB worth of data.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hate to ask, but why don't you just get a Drobo Pro?

4. PhillStew macrumors member

It probably has something to do with the hefty price tag...

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not everyone has $1,000+ sitting around to buy a Drobo Pro. Especially since the Drobo Pro was only released weeks ago and both of his Drobos could have been purchased prior to the Drobo Pro being released.

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Another reason being that then all your data is in a single hardware device. By backing up one to another a hardware failure in one won't make the data unavailable.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I totally missed the question from the OP regarding space:

Make sure you don't back and fill more than 95% of your Drobo capacity; when that thing gets full, your speeds will be slow as molasses.

Sure the Drobo Pro is pricey, but it's easier to back up to one device and have it mirror itself than having to back up a backup. It's just a suggestion.

8. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Thank you ALL for the confidence and reply's. STXSTEVE & alphaod - thanks for the thought and advice personally for the technical particulars.

As for the drobo pro - although i love data robotics the PRO is a rip off. The 4 bay drobo is fine and the chances of 1 drive failing is so low but you're still safe! The only advantage the pro has is fail safe of 2 drives and 4 more bays. With HD's so cheap these days, you can just replace HD's in the drobo any time. If you seriously need more than 8TB worth of data which you can fit in the regular drobo with x4 2TB drives, i'm sure you wouldn't be looking to buy a drobo PRO as you'd want an ESATA device.

Which makes me think -i'm not shelling out money for a drobo pro if it's not any faster. I am quite disappointed they didn't put an ESATA connection or wireless inbuilt with such a hefty price tag.

Also, i just want to point out drobo is redundancy NOT a backup. I'd like to use two drobo's for backup in case one fails, cannot mount, etc.

Thanks again! You made my technical day :) :)