Using 2 Magic Trackpads on 1 Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elchorizo, Jul 15, 2013.

1. elchorizo macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm somewhat of a n00b when it comes to Macs but I'm mostly getting it figured out. I have a work assigned rMBP and a Magic Trackpad at the office. However, I bring this computer home and use it there in the evening. I bought a personal Magic Trackpad to keep at home.

I can't seem to get the laptop to bind to both of them so I can just plop it down in either location and work. As it is, I have to re-sync it each time because it doesn't seem capable of being bound to two Magic Trackpads at once. If its set to work with my work Magic Trackpad, then when I get home, it doesn't synch. I have to manually go into the system preferences and set up the Bluetooth Trackpad. However, it seems rebooting also lets the trackpad synch up.

Since this is Apple, and stuff usually just works, I'm assuming I'm doing something silly. Can someone tell me how to make it so the laptop works with both trackpads so I don't have to keep re-syncing (or rebooting) every time I move the computer?

Thanks,
    Marshall

2. elchorizo thread starter macrumors member

350 views and no responses. I guess you can't do this. Such a hassle. Oh well though, I guess you can't have it all.

3. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

4. mfram macrumors 65816

If you look under the Bluetooth pull down on the main menu, do you see 2 trackpads listed, or only one?

If it's only one then then maybe look if you can rename one of them so the other one will get a different name. I see one that says "(user)'s Trackpad". If both devices come up with that name, I can see how the computer will be confused because they will have different Bluetooth addresses and probably exhibit the problem you are seeing.

5. EricT43 macrumors regular

I'm just curious, why a Trackpad with a Macbook, being that it has one built-in?

6. elchorizo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks james and mfram, I'll try your suggestions tonight.

mfram, I only have 1, and its named as you suggest. I didn't realize you could rename. I'll give it a try.

Eric, good question. I have a work space both at home and at work. In each is an external monitor, keyboard, mouse and trackpad. I only use the keyboard and trackpad on the actual laptop when I'm in meetings or somewhere other than home or work. But for the bulk of my use, I prefer to use a more desktop like work space (but still keep the flexibility of a laptop). Actually, I assumed most people did this.

7. sensorian macrumors member

I do exactly this but haven't figured out a way of connecting two trackpads either.......

8. EricT43 macrumors regular

That makes sense :apple: I didn't realize you were docking in each location.

9. elchorizo thread starter macrumors member

so wierd

It just works now. I don't get it, but I'm happy it does.

On Friday, I finally had time to try some of the things you guys suggested. The rMBP was all synced to my Magic Trackpad at home and was working great. I put it in my bag and headed to work. At work I was planning to try some stuff to get it to work with the trackpad there, but when I set it up, it just worked with the work trackpad, without me doing anything!

I've been using these two trackpads for a couple weeks and I've always had to re-sync as I said in the OP. I have no idea why it suddenly started working as expected, not that I'm complaining lol.

Anyway, thanks for everyones help.