Using 23 inch ACD with 2016 MacBook Pro (13")w/ TouchBar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windowsrefugee, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Windowsrefugee, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

I have a new 2016 13" MBP and would like to use my old 24" ACD with DVI-Din my second office, The ACD works great with my 2013 MBA via Apple's DVI to Mini DisplayPort adaptor. I tried adding Apple's TB2 (looks like Mini DisplayPort) to TB3 adaptor but that did not work at all-- the ACD did not even connect. Then I tried 2 different DVI to TB3 or DVI to USB-C adaptors. Both connected but gave fast flickers-- a couple of times per second so the ACD saw the signal, but it was essentially unusable. AppleCare informed me that there were actually about 6 different types of DVI connectors-- DVI-A, DVI-D and DVI-I all either single or dual link. Plus there is USB-C and TB3 that look indentical but Apple said "that didn't matter". They confirmed that Apple does not make an adaptor that will work for this application nor could they recommend a 3rd party adaptor. They did confirm that the ACD applears to have a DVI-D but weren't completely sure if it was single link or dual link but thought it was the former. So I tried a DVI-D to USB-C (single link) adaptor and still get a flicker that makes it impossible to use. I just admit I am getting a bit tired of trial and error and then having to return the adapters to Amazon.

I searched this forum but could not find a relevant thread. Has anyone gotten this or a similar monitor with DVI-D connector to work with USB-C or TB3 port on a 2016 MBP? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I would like to use this monitor.

2. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

For the 24" LED Apple Cinema Display you will need something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EL8GOJM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think you mistyped in your first sentance and mean the older 23" aluminum version...

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...44&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=usb+c+to+dvi+d&psc=1

You would also need a USB-C to USB adapter to use the ports, if you want them.

I personally own the mini-dp to USB-C for my 27" and it works great. Based on the reviews for the DVI version I linked, you'll be fine. FYI, the old 23" does not need d-dvi, it only puts out 1920x1200. But according to the description, it covers up to 2560x1600 but the reviews seem to suggest the resolution doesn't extend that far when used with MacBook's.

3. Windowsrefugee thread starter macrumors regular

RAWWEED, thank you for your reply. The title had the typo-- this one is an antique 23" Aluminum ACD with a DVI connector. I purchased the exact CableMatters adaptor you mentioned and it gave me the fast flicker. So I Googled around some more on the Web and found an old MacRumors thread, which I could not find easily using the MacRumors search bar. One MR member who has the same 23" Al ACD had tried other options but reported success with an Apple DVI to HDMI adaptor connected to an Apple digital multiport USB-C adaptor. (It is sad that a Level 2 tech at AppleCare couldn't suggest this.). There are some similar solutions with 3rd party adaptors but I am tired of sending stuff back to Amazon and just need to get down to work. I will report back once I confirm success-- and try to provide a link to the other MR thread.

4. Windowsrefugee, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

Windowsrefugee thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2017 ---
    BINGO, IT WORKED-- the 23" aluminum ACD connected to 2016 MBP USB-C via Apple DVI to HDMI adaptor and then to Apple Digital Multiplort Display Adaptor to USB-C worked as posted on MR at the end of 2016. And the original link https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-macbook-pro-15-apple-cinema-displays.2013171/page-2

Now back to work...