Using 3G/HSDPA 'wireless router' and airport express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sharky II, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi there

I've moved out to the middle of nowhere, and there's no phone line. However i do have a very fast 3G/HSDPA wireless router on the 'Three' network, and have been impressed by its speed - i was downloading at 285kb/sec just now! Only issue is that there's a 15gb/month limit on data, but it's the most i could get.

Anyway, it's not a USB dongle, it's actually a tiny wireless router and more than 1 person can be connected with no problems. It's a Huawei E585 Wireless Modem.

Thing is, I still want to use my Airport Express (802.11n) to stream from different machines to my hifi.

How should i go about this? If i connect the Airport Express to the 'Three' router (which is b/g speed) and use that normally, would it work properly do you think? Does anyone have a set up like this, or has tried it

I don't have my Airport Express with me as it's with a friend, so can't just go and try it myself. Obviously don't want to have to put a computer onto a different network to be able to use 'Airtunes'.

Thanks

Ed

2. oliverlubin macrumors regular

You can set it up to extend a network. It's in the airport setup utility. Should work just fine.

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I thought you could only extend Apple/Airport wireless networks, without a load of hassle?

Is that better than simply allowing it to 'join' the network?

Thanks!

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You just want to join. Extending networks is only useful if you wish to rebroadcast the signal and from what I am gathering you are just using the Express for AirTunes.

5. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

OK, will do! Just had my friend drop by and give me back my Airport Express, as i was posting!

So i'll try it now.

I was just a bit worried as i think with AirTunes, everything goes through your wireless router, and not via wireless devices direct, right?

I don't want to strain the tiny little Mifi wireless router, nor do i want it to get confused and somehow think i'm using more data than i really am!

Thanks

Eddie

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The cap only applies to what goes through the 3G network, not devices talking locally.

7. macwales macrumors newbie

Hi - I have a similar issue to Sharky II and wonder if someone can help.

I have just bought a Huawei E585 on the 3 network as I dont yet have a fixed Internet connection at home. To date have been using a Tmobile dongle as my Internet connection for the iMac, but as you cannot share the connection over WiFi I have gone down the E585 route.

My setup is an iMac 24" (OS X 10.6.5), Time Capsule 1TB, Airport Express.

A wireless network has been created on the TC and I use wireless to connect iMac and iPad for file sharing and streaming.

As it doesnt seem possible to connect two wireless networks to iMac at the same time, how can I get simultaneous wireless access to the TC and wireless access to Internet on the E585.

I have read that the TC cannot be used to share the wireless connection but the Airport Express can. I assume it will be by creating a network using the AE and 'sharing' the E585 connection? Using Airport Utility I have tried to get the AE to Join the E585 network, but it does not appear in the list of available wireless networks, only my TC network and that of a neighbour appears.

I'm sure its relatively simple to do but I am a novice at this stuff and probably need some step by step instructions.

Any help gratefully received.
    Thanks