Using 3G iphone with exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joserpaq, Jun 9, 2008.

1. joserpaq macrumors member

I was reading through the details on the new phone and contracts on the Boy Genius site and saw something that looks strange. I want the 3G phone to get access to my corp email on exchange. I've was doing this and a 2G iphone until recently on a unlocked 2G 2.0 phone and it worked great. Am I reading the post incorrectly or will I have to pay another $15 to get my exchange on the iphone ($45 instead of $30).

2. joserpaq thread starter macrumors member

any comments? I'm not sure how to read this?

This is not clear?

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If it is your own personal iPhone on your own non-business account, the data plan is $30 a month. If the iPhone you use (or plan on using) is on a business account then the data plan is $45.

4. mshoo1 macrumors newbie

If you read the ATT release closely, it appears that joserpaqs concerns are legitimate. The policy clearly states that only Enterprise accounts will have access to "corporate email." If the term "corporate email" means Active Sync to Exchange, then yes, you will have to have an Enterprise data plan to use Active Sync for corporate email accounts. I'm in the same boat. I want this phone to link up with my company's exchange server. However, the ATT release suggests that doing so with a 3G phone will cost me $25 more per month than doing the exact same thing with the 2G phone. That might be a deal killer for me. I'm not sure GPS and 3G warrants $25 more per month based on how I intend to use the phone.

5. joserpaq thread starter macrumors member

That's my concern

I always thought that exchange support for email would be there as part of the firmware no matter what data plan you have but the ATT documentation states that you must have a corporate data plan in order to get access to corporate email. So is it possible that the exchange access will come as an additional monthly fee to cover the corporate data plan? I window's mobile it's just part of the software, I'd think that after all the hype about business use that Apple wouldn't let ATT do this?

It would really suck, like I said earlier I've been using exchange with 2.0 beta and it worked great for me on a jailbroken phone.

Here is the link to the article: http://xxx.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/

6. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Wow, I came here to post the exact same question.

I was planning on occasionally using my iPhone to connect to my work's Exchange servers so that it could replace my very infrequently used work phone. Sadly, it appears according to the leaked AT&T memo, if you plan on using the Exchange features you're required to pay the $45/month data fee. That's just simply not happening for me.

There seems to be quite a few unanswered questions, and it concerns me. I've got until the end of the day to make a decision--I found a guy selling an unused 8GB iPhone on Craigslist for $300. I'm seriously considering just getting this, and playing the wait and see game for the next few months. The phone likely will not lose value--heck, with the way thinks are looking for those interested in unlocking, it might actually increase in value.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They could do that by blocking the ActiveSync ports but that really would be a pathetic thing to do!
    ActiveSync does not add much data volume and currently works beautifully on iPhone 1st Gen phones with version 2 firmware - there is no logical or justifiable reason to do this beyond profiteering. Hopefully O2 won't stoop this low in the UK...

8. joserpaq thread starter macrumors member

I agree

I might do the same, I sold my old 8gig phone for $420 on ebay a month ago I might just buy a 2.5g 16gig phone now on craigslist for $300 and unlock and put the 2.0 beta firmware back on it. I'm not paying an extra $15 just to get access to exchange thats ridiculous.

9. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. I'm having a hard time interpreting how this will work.
    Let's say I don't upgrade to the 3G, I assume my current plan, which I signed into a 2 year agreement on, will remain the same. So if I download the 2.0 software, couldn't I just put in my company's exchange setting and they would be none-the-wiser? Also, couldn't I just buy the new 3G phone, and since it's a personal account, wouldn't I just pay the 30 p/month and still be able to access my exchange servers with the setting I put in? I'm going to go on a limb and say the 45 dollar plan is for people who's account is paid for by their company, i.e. the company issued iPhone...

If it is 45 dollars regardless to access your exchange server, wouldn't the MobileMe service qualify as the same?

10. mrtune macrumors 6502a

This worries me as well. ATT's Personal PDA plans are $30 and Business PDA plans $45. Only the $45 plan excplicitly states that it includes microsoft direct push.

My phone is not a company phone, it's a personal phone that I would like to receive my work email on it. Are personal lines even upgradable to business lines for the sake of having corporate email on them?

This needs to be cleared up quickly by ATT if they want my money.

11. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

This is exactly what I think will happen, but it still worries me nonetheless. Exchange support is absolutely the #1 thing I've been most excited about, and if it doesn't pan out, I'll be very disappointed. There's no way I'm paying $45/month for data though.

12. JonboyDC macrumors regular

I suspect that if your set-up doesn't involve accessing your work e-mail via ActiveSync, it should work as it always has. But without ActiveSync, all you can access is e-mail (and that only if your company's servers are set up properly). I've been really looking forward to the day when I could use my iPhone to access my work e-mail, calendars, and contacts, so I can get rid of the Blackberry they force me to carry. And I'm suspecting that's just not going to be happening. Grrrr.

(I'm still hopeful that I can cobble together a solution involving mobileme, but I'm betting that's a fool's dream.)

13. tdar macrumors 6502a

Actually they can't do that because ActiveSync uses ports 80 and 443.

If they did this you would have no web page access......

but you are right in that it would be a pathetic thing to do :)

I'm guessing that they will use the "honor" system if you are not a business account as how many "home" users have an Exchange server? (I do)
    but they could snoop your data and see the headers in the traffic that point to an Exchange server and know what you are doing....again pathetic!

14. joserpaq thread starter macrumors member

2.5g Iphone with 2.0 unlocked

If ATT does this it is really just about the money and I'll go out of my way to make sure that I help as many people as I can get exchange without having to upgrade to a business account. I have the 2.0 beta firmware that's already Pwn'd and will be happy to share outside of this forum if we are forced to take that route. The funny thing is that I'm willing to buy a new phone and pay more for the monthly service but just as most of these large corporations often do they want to really give to us while we're bent over. These types of decisions are what forces the community to develop alternatives to the ones provided by the carrier.

15. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

Hmm, I think this is what's going to happen. Maybe the MobileMe serivice will let me send emails with a different "from" field, the way the Blackberry service lets you do it.

I guess time will tell. A bit worried since the biggest feature I was looking forward to was exchange support w/ push email.

16. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Couldn't agree more. It's obviously a money grab. As tdar mentioned above, how many personal phone users would actually use ActiveSync? There are some, sure, but not very many I'm sure. I, too, successfully tried the 2.0 firmware on my v1 phone and it worked great. Any limitation imposed is going to be purely by choice on AT&Ts part.

Unfortunately, the v1 "unused" iPhone I thought I had turned out to be an unused warranty replacement phone in which the warranty expires on at the end of June. :cool: So it looks like I have no other choice but to go with the 3G. I sure hope this works out...

17. ITDave macrumors newbie

Mine works fine with exchange on a personal plan

I first set it up on my wife's iPod Touch after upgrading her OS to iphone 2.0. I set it up by connecting to wi-fi to my exchange server. I went and bought an iPhone and configured it on my way home and it took about 2 minutes. I'm having trouble syncing with my offices Exchange server, but I think that's a router/certificate issue. There should be no difference between my exchange server and my offices. The only difference being the router and certificates. I am able to authenticate to my office exchange, but cannot send or receive through it, that's why I think it's more of an issue with my configuration at the office vs at home. Bottom line, it should work fine. When I get it resolved at the office (my main goal) I'll post what was causing my issue, but I really doubt it's a service plan issue.

18. bmat macrumors 6502

Even if it didn't work, there's nothing that would prohibit you from changing to the business data plan later, right?

I'm not sure if it's the same, but in addition to corporate push, there's other features businesses use -- such as remote erasing of data from a device if it's lost.

19. ITDave macrumors newbie

After my post last night, I was able to connect o another exchange server of a former customer of mine. everything worked flawlessly, so I know the issue is on my Exchange server at the office. Yes, I think the enterprise plan gives you the ability to remote erase, and once I evaluate this and it's workable. I may buy 50 anyway, and they would go on the enterprise plan. I just want to make sure it's going to be workable before I sign up. I'm just evaluating it for my office.