using 3G Unrestrictor with Facetime

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by psywzrd, Nov 18, 2010.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I've been using 3G Unrestrictor with Facetime and I'm having an issue with it. I know the whole point of 3G Unrestrictor and similar apps is to trick apps like Facetime and others into thinking that you're on wifi when you're really on 3G; however, it seems to be causing a problem for me when I'm actually using my phone on wifi. What I mean is that whenever I try to use Facetime at home when I'm on wifi, I noticed that it's connecting via 3G for some reason instead of using my wifi. This is causing my Facetime quality to be poor and it's ruining the experience for me. Why would my phone be using 3G for Facetime instead of wifi when my wifi connection is availabe?

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Sounds strange. I use Facetime with My3G and don't see that issue. When on WiFi there is a noticeable performance improvement.

I look forward to seeing what other experience.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I haven;t seen this issues either, however you can download a SBsettings switch for 3G Unrestrictor and disable it when you are not using it.

4. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I have that toggle already but I prefer to leave 3G Unrestrictor on just in case someone tries to Facetime me when I'm not on wifi. I just initiated a Facetime call while connected to wifi and it seemed to stay connected over wifi this time. The next test is for someone to Facetime me and see if it connects over wifi or 3g.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I understand, all i was advancing you was that if you are having issues with your calls at home, them disable before making the calls, and re-enable them when you leave home or when you finish your call.

6. Zachary C. macrumors member

Just a side question, how much data is used when doing this?

7. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Understood - thank you. I wish there was a way to have it toggle off automatically when I'm at home and then toggle on when I leave. I guess we're not quite that advanced yet but I'm sure we'll get there at some point in the future.

8. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

9. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I'm not sure why that's happening. I bought both 3G Unrestrictor and My3G and ended up staying with My3G.

When I bought 3G Unrestrictor it wasn't working with incoming calls. I emailed the developer about the problem on the day I realized this problem and he told me that a fix was being sent to the BigBoss repo later that day. It showed up almost a week later and by then I had purchased My3G.

My3G has a free trial period so it may be worth a try for you. One thing to know before using the trial...you can't have both packages on your phone at the same time. When you try to install one it will remove the other. You'll be able to reinstall either later on so no harm done. :)