Using 3GS as iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Island Dog, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I'm hoping someone can answer my question, as I am not real familiar with the JB process.

I have an iPhone 3GS that was updated to the latest iOS update. I bought another phone and want to give this to my daughter to use as an iPod Touch as I did with the first-gen phone.

Problem is, iTunes says it needs a SIM card and can't go any further beyond that screen. I have an old SIM card I could stick in there, but I'm afraid it will screw up my AT&T account.

Advice?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You'll be fine, the iPhone just needs to be activated. It won't affect your account.

3. jason.j, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

jason.j macrumors newbie

deactivating 3GS, still hope to have wifi & ipod touch

Hope to get some help here with this too. I'll soon have a deactivated iPhone 3GS running iOS 3.1.3. Will I still be able to connect with Wi-Fi and use it as an ipod touch?

AT&T says it's not possible to have Wi-Fi but an article at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406 says it can be converted to use as an ipod touch.

Questions, do I have to upgrade my iOS to be able to use it as an ipod touch and will I still have Wi-Fi on a deactivated iPhone 3GS?

Thanks

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Whoever told you that from AT&T didnt know what they were talking about.
    Only thing that gets deactivated is your simcard, not the iphone.
    You can even update or restore to any firmware you want and activate it with your inactive AT&T sim. It will let you into the homescreen and you can use it as a touch;)

5. jason.j macrumors newbie

Thanks AJ - AT&T conversed with 3 people who told me no Wi-Fi. Sounds like I'll still be able to update iOS too.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    They're crazy, no wifi. Like it would have anything to do with their network.
    Sounds like they just wanted to scare you so you dont close your account.

7. inlvnv macrumors member

You will be fine. I'm using a deactivated 3GS as an iPod Touch right now.