Using 4K UHD TV with 5,1 cMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kennyisalive, Sep 16, 2016.

1. kennyisalive, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

kennyisalive macrumors regular

I currently have a Samsung UHD TV (Series 6 50 inch JU6400 4K UHD LED TV) and I tried plugging an HDMI cable (using an HDMI to mini Displayport adapter) and I couldn't get the TV to receive any video from the Mac Pro.

cMP has a Quad-core 3.4 GHz Intel Xeon, 5870 radeon, 24 gb of RAM. Running Mavericks.

Tried doing this with my late 2013 MBP and it worked flawlessly.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this? (using some sort of program, application, drivers, etc.)

I was looking forward to using my cMP as a media station and purchase a new Windows machine as my main workstation.

Thanks for your help.

2. orph macrumors 6502a

can the macpro see the tv? when you plug it in

3. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Do you want to run it at 4K? Or is 1080 ok for you?

4. kennyisalive thread starter macrumors regular

No need for 4k. 1080 is fine
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Yea the mac can see the tv, but the tv doesnt show the mac's desktop... just gets stuck trying to find the input source

5. orph macrumors 6502a

^^ good to know the mac can see the tv, that means the video out on your GPU is probably working.
    have you tried changing the port the hdmi cable is plunged in to the tv incase it's pluged in to a bad port.

6. kennyisalive thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, tried changing the port and everything was the same.

TV was detected on the the Display system pref but no signal on the actual TV.

7. orph macrumors 6502a

did you try changing the resolution and refresh rate in system prefe's might be the signal is not friendly to the tv.

do you have a laptop or any outhere computer you can try plugin in to the display?
    do you have windows instated on your computer as well if so see if the display works with windows?

did a google and one thing you may not have tested is what version of hdmi cable are you using? seems people are having problems with samsung displays when not using the correct hdmi cable is it a 1.4 or above or an older 1.3 or lower?

im reading the manual did you try all the steps in the troubleshooting section ?