using 667MHz and 800MHz 2GB RAM for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by F16 Falcon, Aug 17, 2010.

1. F16 Falcon macrumors newbie

Hi...what happen if i use 2GB 667Mhz and 2GB 800Mhz RAM for my Macbook? can i use it both together? have anyone try this? please comment..

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Usually it's NEVER a good idea to mix and match bus speeds on RAM. And it's usually not a good idea to use speeds slower than the specified amount for your machine. How old is your MB? Please visit the link for more information: http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

3. F16 Falcon thread starter macrumors newbie

my macbook is the 13 inch black with intel core 2 duo processor 2.0Mghz...i bought it in mid 2007...

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

So Then you'll want to use just the DDR2 667MHz. If you have any further questions, feel free to check out the link posted above

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the faster RAM will downclock to the speed of the slower RAM giving you no speed benefit execpt the fact that you have 4Gb of RAM installed...

What is the supported apple "max" RAM for your machine (2 or 4Gb)?

If I recall correctly, that model will only "see" ~3Gb of 4Gb RAM installed...

6. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Holy crap really? That's awesome! haha I didn't know you could actually do that! He seems to have the first core2duo MB, which supports 3GB of RAM. Which is probably why he's got the different bus speeds haha. 2GB of 800 and 1GB of 667

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Use the 667Mhz RAM. The only Macbook you can use 800Mhz in effectively is the first Whitebook they put nVidia Graphics cards in, since they also upgraded the FSB. However they're both the same price (or they were when I was buying) so you may as well go 800Mhz, shouldn't do any harm <shrug>

Edit. I just realised I contradicted myself :eek: Just choose either haha.

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I just repaired a Macbook 1,1 with a bad stick of ram for a friend. I took out the bad ram, and dumped an 800mhz stick into the machine, thinking the mac would just clock it down; the machine did not take it, either by itself or with a stick of 667mhz ram. I would just use 667Mhz ram, it will make your life easier.