Using a 12.9 to remotely log into an iMac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stanw, Mar 25, 2016.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I want to use a 12.9 to remotely log into my iMac while on my network, and sometimes via the internet. I know there are many remote desktop programs, though I'm wondering if there is one optimized for the 12.9 IPP?

Thanks.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I use splash top 2. Optimized for iPad Pro. Works great

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

4. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

All of these seem to do the same thing. Do any of them have better security or some other distinguishing feature?

5. Sillythink macrumors member

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I'm not sure about the others, but TeamViewer is completely free as long as you limit it to personal use.

7. gtjeta macrumors member

Most of them are. My favorites are splashtop and jump desktop. The second one even has support for some physical mouses.

8. ccrgt macrumors regular

Using either Splashtop or Parrallel Access, I can access my iMac from my iPP when I am at home, but if I leave the house to go to work/shops etc, I cannot access my iMac. Any idea why? Sorry for newbie question but I am getting frustrated trying to work it all out.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bought iTeleport long ago and it still works quite well though hasn't been updated for the iPad Pro resolution.

Anyone know if any of the others have been updated for the enhanced screen resolution of the 12.9" iPP?

10. AliMacs macrumors 6502

there are just many:

TeamViewer,
    Splashtop,
    VNC,
    Jump Desktop,
    Parallels,

Some are paid some are free some are paid but can't access beyond your own network. Some paid ones also don't encrypt your session so it's susceptible to eavesdropping that's matters if you are connected to any computer remotely that needs security. Most of the time when you remote into a computer you would rely on a VPN connection anyway.

You can also manage using SSH - Prompt 2 is a great tool to have!

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Did you forward the correct ports in your router?

12. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I assumed that any of these would encrypt the sessions. What do I need to look for to determine which are more secure? I want to be able to login remotely, sometimes via open wifi. Is this just a bad idea? Does using a vpn to do this make for the only secure way to login remotely? Thanks for clarity!

13. ccrgt macrumors regular

Anyone......?

14. gtjeta macrumors member

With neither teamviewer, splashtop or jump desktop you need to use a VPN or forward ports. Yo have to install a companion application in the iMac which contacts a central server and enables easy remote access functionality. They are encrypted. Splashtop, for new users, demand a monthly fee, but has the most fluid access with sound available and auto resolution modification. Jump desktop is not so fast (they are creating a new protocol which in the near future seems to be almost as fast), no sound available for Mac yet, and has physical mouse support (for two special mouses). It is not free. Finally teamviewer is free for not commercial uses, a little annoying telling you about this with a floating window in each use.

15. ccrgt macrumors regular

Thank you SO much for your reply, I really appreciate you clearing that up for me. So I guess I won't be able to access my iMac from work then.

16. AliMacs macrumors 6502

Splashtop doesn't require any port forwarding or VPN. The connection isn't secure either if you use the FREE model. You don't need to create any registeration at all if you use it in local mode only. The desktop app you install is required, however. It only contacts their server with your created login to broadcast your ip so you can connect anywhere in the world. I use splashtop daily in local mode it supports audio and it's great except the resolution is really limited. On the IPP doesn't use full resolution.

17. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Splash topping with my MacBook Air, the resolution on my iPad Pro is really ugly. I think some of it has to do with how much video they want you to stream. The higher resolution, the harder it would be to transmit as that would be way way more data. So I wouldn't recommend remoting if you're gonna do graphics work or something but most other things work great

18. AliMacs macrumors 6502

YES, this. I only use it to configure something on my NAS drive that's connected to the mini server. Otherwise don't even bother watching a video from it it just sucks, lol. I have a gigabit network setup and wireless AC to the IPP and it's still not fast enough. It's decent but I would not say it's fast enough to watch a video let alone gaming. For Xcoding it's not bad at all.