Using a 13in MBP as a Desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Afflicted Max, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Afflicted Max macrumors member

Heya,

I'm trying to get a new 13in MBP. I'm going to be traveling between my parent's houses and I'll spend most of my time at my mom's house.

So, at my mom's house I want to use my MBP as a desktop (wireless mouse/keyboard and a monitor).

My plan was to buy a Monoprice MiniDisplay-HDMI converter, and hook it up to my 4 port HDMI switch (also have my 360 and PS3 connected, 4th slot for potential HD Cable connection ;)). Then I can turn off the keyboard and wireless mouse and unplug the MiniDisplay port, and run out the door when my dad comes to pick me up.

So I was planning on buying a Speck 13in clear case (love the Apple white :D) and using this stand with my MBP upside down (I heard that's how it releases heat). Do you reckon it'll fit with the Speck case on?

Now for my real question, I'm looking to buy a new monitor. I need one with a fast refresh rate (2ms GTG) and preferably 22-24in widescreen in size. I'm going to spend most of my time directly infront of it, but I'd like to be able to sit ten feet away and watch Blu-Ray movies with the full quality. My price limit is about 250$, and I'd like to buy it at BestBuy if at all possible. What are the recommended monitors for my usage?

Thanks,

Max

2. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

The BookArc comes with three or four inserts for the different sizes of Macbooks and Macbook Pros. Therefore, you can probably use the 15" or 17" insert in the stand to use your 13" MBP with it. Don't forget you can always take the product back to an Apple Store under the 14 day returns policy.

3. seven7seven macrumors regular

4. Drew n macs macrumors member

you mention that you love apple white? and will be using it with a speck clear case. The white 13 inch is a macbook. The aluminum 13 is a macbook pro.