Using a 15" on a plane (size/space/room)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nedwardkelly, Sep 29, 2009.

1. nedwardkelly macrumors newbie

Howdy folks,

Any people here fly a lot with a macbook pro? Right now I've got a 15" and a 13" sitting on my desk, going to return the one I don't want. I like the 15" more for working on, but I do fly a bit. 13" obviously takes teh cake there.

If the 15" is workable on a plane though I'll just suck it up the times I am on a plane, as I figure it's the better option for the rest of the time.

Anyone use a 15" on a plane? Is it workable or do you feel like it's a squeeze/more of a pain in the rear than it's worth to pull it out to do anything while flying. I'm talking about how easy it is to sit in your sit fiddling on it, whether there's generally enough room or it's a real hassle. I'm not talking about regional flights, just the big boys - long haul domestic or international.

I've got top end of both, but either has the horsepower to do the work I need. The 13" would win in a second, but I'm just worried it's a bit too small for any reasonable amount of work.

2. macbook yes macrumors 6502

My 13 fits well, but a 15 would be encroaching on your neighbors. I dont recommend it.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use my 17" I am not sure if there is really enough room to comfortably place a drink down next to a MacBook in coach. It's workable, but, it's not ideal. I'd say stick with the 15".

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never had an issue on a plane to the point where I've thought to myself "I wish I had the 13-inch model." And this is even on the really crappy Delta commuter planes.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

Smaller is better, but a 15" worked fine for me when I had it. The huge 13" bezels mean there is less size savings than one would guess...

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

15 took up all the space on my coach seat table back. I didn't mind, just put the drink on the computer or on my GF's table. I usually try to be the window seat, so I can move it so it is hanging off and have some room.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

Using a laptop on a fold down seatback tray? Sorry, but that's for "worker bees." :D

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I think it's really only bad when the person in front of you reclines. Then you can't open the screen all the way without pulling the base into your stomach and it's uncomfortable. Other than that it's usually fine. I'd vote for the 15 inch so you have more screen all the other times you're not on a plane.

9. shaunb83 macrumors member

I've used a 12" ibook, 13" Macbook and 15" MBP, all in coach.

The 15" definitely feels a bit cumbersome, but the main problem that you run into with all of these sizes is that if you use them on the seat back tray (NOT RECOMMENDED) when your charming neighbor in front reclines, it will tend to grab the screen, and put's it under heaps of pressure. I've almost had a heart attack when one @#$@ did it super quickly and I couldn't get the laptop closed, and since then I only ever use the laptop on my lap, where it can't get caught by the seat in front of you.

My $0.02 worth, unless you are going to go for something really small, then the difference between 13" and 15" isn't big enough to worry about on a plane, I'd be letting other things guide my buying decision first (weight, price etc.).

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

15 definitely requires lap usage instead of tray table usage....

though, the 13 does the same if the ******* in front of you puts their seat back.

(I'm 6'2" with a bad knee and that pisses me off sooooooo much, though I never say anything to anyone about it)

I remember I had a 15" sony vaio about 5 years back that someone practically broke by putting their seat back very fast getting the top of the screen caught and yanking it backwards.

God I hate planes.

11. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I used my 15" Ti Powerbook on a plane (coach class) 767/777 type aircraft. Set it right on the pull down tray. Wasn't any room to spare. I had the window seat so I think I had a bit more space than someone in the middle. Still a little tight. 17" is way too big. 13" would feel great imo, but a 15" is still manageable....as long as it's not during meal time.

12. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

how often do you fly? if you're out in the air three or more times a week then I'd just stay with the 13" if I were you. Anything less and go with the 15".

13. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

I don't know about you, but my macbook is NOT a place to put drinks. Ever

14. nedwardkelly thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't fly too frequently, but when I do it's generally long distance. To Australia etc... The flights are normally 12hrs plus, the sort that people absolutely put their seats back on.

I've been tinkering with the 13" a lot, I'm leaning towards it at the moment. The 15" has more power, HDD etc but it seems more like a replacement for my desktop than just a portable to get me by when away from my desk. I already have a great desk computer.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Good for you. I drink near my computer and actually use it. Sometimes I use it while I am drinking. In bed I may even use the sides of my MBP as a coaster while open.

I trust myself. But stuff happens, so if I spill on it, its my fault and I can live with it and won't make a thread complaining about it. I did it myself.

16. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Same has happened to me. A chair back nearly snapped my MBP in two. I used to roll with the 15" but it's too big for flights. I fly a lot and the 13" does the trick.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Same thing happened here. I shoved that chair so quick the guy didn't know what was happening. He understood, nobodies fault.

Although now I do scoot it towards me until they put their chair down.

18. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Amen to that sir! I love my computer, but it's a bloody computer. Not a work of art.

I drink coffee, coke, eat round it, everything. Because I'm too busy actually using the thing not to. I love beer on planes, I dunno why. So I get a couple beers and they fit nicely enough in the space behind the screen, between it and the seat back in front.

OP, the 15 inch is a pain on planes. But just don't lean the screen back. That way when people move their seats back, it doesn't catch. With regard to which one to return... if you do decide on the 15 inch, why not return both and get the base 15? It's closer to the top end 13 inch you've got at the minute, in terms of price, and you said it's just fine. Unless there's a restocking fee I spose.

19. psingh01 macrumors 65816

What would you do with your computer on the plane? Watch movies? Listen to music? If so then just get an iPod Touch and some kind of extended battery. I guess you'll have to find one that they'll let on the plane.

If you want to do other stuff then I think you can get by with a 15" if that's what you really want.

20. macuser154 macrumors 6502

In economy the 15" fits nicely on the tray, but it does take up a lot of space when it is on the tray.