Using a 1st gen iPhone on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Oct 28, 2008.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me everything that is involved with using a 1st generation iPhone on T-Mobile?

Specific questions:

1-I know I will need to jailbreak it and it will only run on Edge. What plan would I need to get with T-mobile? I have read about $5.99 T-zones, and $19.99 and $29.99 plans.

2-Would I need to get a T-mobile phone and pull the SIM out and then place it in the iPhone?

3-Could I do a Pay-as-you go sort of thing?

4-Can I get data only, I don't really need voice.

Thanks!

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Jailbrakeing will not do anything for you, you will need to unlock it. Different thing but generally done in the same process

NO, you only need the sim card. They sales drone should be able to provide this to you.

Sure why not

What did T-Mo say when you asked them about data only plans? I'm sure their web site would have that information.

3. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Still looking for definitive answers, I am very confused. Can someone please break this down to step by step simple directions on how I can use a first generation iPhone on T-mobile. Also please explain the different plans I could opt for. Obviously the $5.99 T-zones sounds great but what is the catch if any? Can I do data only, I really don't need voice. If I could do data only couldn't I use a VOIP app to make and receive calls?

Thanks

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Please search, there already is a huge thread on this.

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I have the 5.99 data plan from tmobile. ITs slow but it works. I haven't compared it with the 19.99 plan since I never had it, but everything works even maps, location, email, safari. Youtube works but its WAAAAAAY slow for me on edge. I had to call them to activate it, and they were okay with me on an iphone. They had to switch the settings on their thing.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I think with edge it would be too slow for VOIP imo.

7. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I have the 5.99 data plan from tmobile. ITs slow but it works. I haven't compared it with the 19.99 plan since I never had it, but everything works even maps, location, email, safari. Youtube works but its WAAAAAAY slow for me on edge. I had to call them to activate it, and they were okay with me on an iphone. They had to switch the settings on their thing.

8. Love Juice macrumors regular

you need to:
    ◘ unlock your 1st gen iphone
    ◘ add a data plan from tmobile ($5.99 tzones is fine)
    ◘ edit the plist on your iphone to put in the proxy settings or download it from cydia
    ◘ change the apn settings on your iphone

now you can use edge on tmobile

thats how i did it, though i think w/ the 2.1 fw, there isnt a need to use the tzones proxy hack ...but dont quote me on that because i have always edited the plist myself for the hack.

9. CB45 macrumors newbie

I'm using my iPhone on T-Mo.. You will need to unlock it. I used QuickPwn 2.1. No you can't use Just data or pre paid.. That I know of.. If you have T-Mo service already great, just add the 5.99 T-Zones unlimited Wed.. Once your phone is jailbroken and unlocked in Cydia add the T-Zones hack.. that will add all the apn and proxy settings you need.. You'll be good to go.

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

You know I didn't realize this but I didn't install the t-zones hack on fw 2.1 and it works!

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not sure how true this is but, two of my brothers have gone to T-Mobile and had their v1 iPhones unlocked by T-Mobile folks at their stores. No visual voicemail and they seem to be happy with WiFi and EDGE network...:eek:

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have the $5.99 as well w/ T-Mobile and with 2.1, you dont need to use the t-mobile hack. I used epc.tmobile.com in my APN and it works pretty well actually. Slow at times but im ok with it.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, that slow thing was evident during my recent visit to the OC. Both of my brothers were just gawking at my 3G speed...:p

14. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Is Edge limited in speed when accessed via T-Zones? If so I wouldn't mind paying for an actual internet plan to get the maximum Edge speed possible. I experimented with a G1 on T-mobile 2 weeks ago, I couldn't get 3G barely at all even though I am in a "3G city". So I had to use Edge most of the time. I found it surprisingly snappy and nice to use. I am expecting that if I got a dedicated internet plan through T-mobile for the iPhone I would experience the same excellent Edge that I did with the G1.

15. Dog Mom macrumors newbie

Switching to T-Mobile with !st gen. iphone

My personal advice is not to switch. My husband just changed ours and it is awful. I use my iphone primarily for the data plan. It's been unreliable, very frustrating when things won't work. You will lose visual voicemail, U-Tube, and the find me on the map is worthless, which sucks since i have a horrible sense of direction!

16. gheavey macrumors newbie

a great website for all those answers that helped me out is www.iphone-sim-unlock.com they have great costumer help with all your needs

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

YouTube and Map works fine for T-Mobile EDGE when you use pwnage and Firmware 2.0. As a matter of fact, everything works (but the Appstore for larger Apps).

The speeds are all the same in all the data plans. The only difference between the $5.99 T-Zones and $19.99 Total Internet is the $20 plan includes access to T-Mobile Wifi Hotspots with either your phone or laptop or any Wifi device.

I pay $51/month on T-Mobile with 1000 minutes, unlimited Nights/Weekends, 400 Messages, and unlimited T-Zones...

18. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I'd go the TurboSim route. Seems hassle-free for the most part.

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Everything works for me using the $5.99 tmobile internet. I dont even know what visual voicemail is so i dont miss it. Who cares about that anyways. Its a voicemail! I used pwnage and have 2.1 firmware.

I also have MMS and can record video.

I think im going upgrade to a 16gb first gen and just skip getting a 3G 16GB. Seems there are too many problems with the 3G by reading threads in here while the first gen is pretty stable.

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yeah my locate me works fine on tmobile and the 5.99 plan.

Plus, I hate getting voicemail so I just tell everyone to text me if I don't pick up.