using a 2007 mac mini as an HTPC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jrm27, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've got an old Mac Mini (2007) that I'd like to setup to run Plex as an HTPC. What kind of cables would I need? It's only got the DVI connector on the back and my TV has HDMI inputs. Also, how woudl I run sound to the TV? Any input would be most appreciated!

-jon

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

+1 for DVI to HDMI and 3.5mm to RCA. No need for anything else.

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup.. Simple, easy and inexpensive. Plus, it'll work and sound great.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 to above posters. However, if your TV is like mine, you can't have the audio coming from another source if you're using HDMI video. I have the 2009 mini with mini-displayport, but HERE is an adapter that would work for you that combines the DVI video and R/L stereo audio into a single HDMI connection. Bit more expensive, but Monoprice rules. :)

6. theusualsuspect macrumors member

I use a 2007 mini for plex, and it's great. BTW, you do have optical out if you want surround sound, you just need a mini-toslink to optical adapter.

7. chunker macrumors member

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I also recommend getting a bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad.

8. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks all! That HDMI/Audio combiner looks pretty slick!

Here's my second question. We don't have internet at our house. Could I set up PLEX using my buddy's internet connection at his house, have it scan my library, then unhook my mini from the internet and have all the info show up at my house when I'm offline?

-jon

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Sure, you can download and install all you need at your friends house, one everything is setup, bring it to your house, connect it to the TV and you should be able to watch all the content on local in your machine.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Don't know about Plex, but in my old laptop that had Win XP I'm running Jolicloud for my HTPC and loving it, don't know if it supports mac minis though.