Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all,

I've got an old Mac Mini (2007) that I'd like to setup to run Plex as an HTPC. What kind of cables would I need? It's only got the DVI connector on the back and my TV has HDMI inputs. Also, how woudl I run sound to the TV? Any input would be most appreciated!

-jon

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
+1 to above posters. However, if your TV is like mine, you can't have the audio coming from another source if you're using HDMI video. I have the 2009 mini with mini-displayport, but HERE is an adapter that would work for you that combines the DVI video and R/L stereo audio into a single HDMI connection. Bit more expensive, but Monoprice rules. :)

theusualsuspect

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I use a 2007 mini for plex, and it's great. BTW, you do have optical out if you want surround sound, you just need a mini-toslink to optical adapter.

chunker

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I also recommend getting a bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
thanks all! That HDMI/Audio combiner looks pretty slick!

Here's my second question. We don't have internet at our house. Could I set up PLEX using my buddy's internet connection at his house, have it scan my library, then unhook my mini from the internet and have all the info show up at my house when I'm offline?

-jon

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sure, you can download and install all you need at your friends house, one everything is setup, bring it to your house, connect it to the TV and you should be able to watch all the content on local in your machine.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Don't know about Plex, but in my old laptop that had Win XP I'm running Jolicloud for my HTPC and loving it, don't know if it supports mac minis though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.