Using a 2018 Mac Mini with a 4K TV

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bigpoppamac31, Jun 8, 2019.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

Hey so I've been thinking of buying a 2018 Mac Mini and I thought of using it with my 4K LG TV instead of with a monitor on a desk. I already have a wireless Apple Keyboard and trackpad. Would this be a good idea or would an UHD TV not be as good a picture as a computer monitor? I currently have a 2014 13" MacBook Pro which still works well but I'd like to upgrade.

2. gigatoaster macrumors regular

gigatoaster

Hello there

I do it too but I added a Apple TV 4K & Infuse as there is some stuttering on my OLED TV with the mini.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have an Apple TV 4K. I'm just wondering if it would be practical for everyday use to have a Mac Mini connected to my 4K TV. I think I'm looking to avoid having a traditional desk setup.

4. gigatoaster macrumors regular

gigatoaster

Well, depend on what you would use the mini for. Personally, I use it only fir uTorrent & roon. Working on a 4K TV is weird, I am not used to it. I use my MacBook Pro for that.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

You connect your MacBook Pro to your 4K TV? I've tried that with mine but my 2014 MBP can only do 30Hz whereas the newer ones can do 60Hz.

6. gigatoaster macrumors regular

gigatoaster

Nope, I use only the Apple TV 4K to watch TV shows. I turn the TV off when listening to music via Roon.

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

I’ve never heard of Roon. I stream my music via AirPlay to my Apple TV into my AV receiver.

8. gigatoaster macrumors regular

gigatoaster

I use Roon because it takes advantage of my DAC connected via USB to the mini. I upsample in DSD128 with it.

This thing is mostly used by some people into hifi or audiophile. It’s very expensive, though.

9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm okay. Well I'm not at that level yet. I have quite a way to go.

10. getrealbro, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019

getrealbro macrumors 6502

Been there. Done that. You might want to think about these 3 questions…

1 - Do you live alone?
    - Using your only TV as a Monitor can be a relationship challenge :) She wants to watch TV and you want/need to use the Mini.

2 - How big is your 4K TV?
    - Anything bigger than 32in will make the UI look very large. If you like your 13”MBP you’re used to a much smaller UI.

3 - Where do you plan to sit while a) watching TV b) using your Mini?
    - The comfortable viewing distance and seating for watching TV vs using a computer are usually quite different.

GetRealBro

11. a2jack macrumors regular

a2jack

I use TVs as monitors with older mini Macs. They work fine at 1080i.

On our main TV,4k, 55" TCL. we use a $30 fire stick for 4k and an 09 mini for peeks at the internet and mail. TV has 3 HDMI inputs.

My main day to day computer, a 2012 mini, runs a 32" TCL TV, at 1080i and other resolutions.

We have two other Minis on TVs in the house. All videos, and text look great. a2