Using a 27" Cinema Display with Macbook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ItsMattLive, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ItsMattLive macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone - Obviously i'm a newbie here at MacRumours, and I've come with a question. I currently own a Mac Mini, and i'm purchasing a Macbook Pro 15" in the next two days. I already have the keyboard and mouse from the Mac Mini and I've decided that after I buy my Macbook, I want to add a 27" Cinema Display. Just wondering if it's worth the $1299AU? I'm going to be using the Macbook Pro for School and as my main home computer. Is it worth it? Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Only you can tell us if it's worth it. Do you need a bigger screen? If the answer is "yes", then it's probably worth it.

3. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. I'm going to be doing video editing mostly. Apple only sells the 27 Inch Cinema Display now.

4. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

For video editing, I would imagine that the larger real estate would definitely come in handy.

5. ItsMattLive thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, Great. Is it possible to use the Macbook Pro screen as the monitor where it's full screen video while I edit using the cinema display? - All this resolution is going to be excellent.

6. Meever macrumors 6502a

I would consider the 27" imac low speced. You will essentially be getting a pretty well speced computer running in the back for multi tasking (run torrent client, crunch numbers, render, etc) while you work on your main machine while using the imac as a monitor.

It's only a few hundred more.

7. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I have the 17 MBP, and the 27 ACD. For me it's the best set up b/c I love having as much screen as I can have. The advantage fo this set up, is that I can have the best of both worlds. Dual large screens when needed at home, pack of the MBP and it's mobile. Nothing to share between two computers, everything is where I am, at all times.

8. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Except for that I found the 17" MBP to be pretty hefty while traveling. I sold it to get a 27" iMac (its not much more than the display, really), and plan on getting a Macbook Air for portability.