Using a 3G iPad in Turkey

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrkramer, Apr 8, 2011.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm going to be taking a trip to turkey in a few weeks and wanted to buy a prepaid sim card for my first Gen iPad. I know nothing about carriers in turkey so I was wondering if I could get some help with what the best carrier is and how much to expect to pay. I just need enough data to last me a week, and if it's possible to buy a sim in the airport in Istambul that would be a plus as well.

2. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

You should go for Turkcell. It has the best coverage and data speeds, especially in Istanbul you'll be amazed. There's a Turkcell store just inside Atatürk International Airport. It's hard to miss. And by the way, have fun in Turkey!

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Thanks, I'll probably go for them then. I think I'm flying into the other airport in Istanbul, Sabiha Gökçen International Airport, do you know if there's a Turkcell store around there? thanks again.

4. kilidar macrumors member

went to turkey last summer I had intended to get a local data sim but there was wifi everywhere.

5. carol551 macrumors newbie

3G Sim for iPad in Turkey

I am flying into Turkey for the first time towards the end of May 2012 and staying for 10 days; flying into Dalaman and staying in Fethiye.

It seems Turkcell has been the best in the past, is that still so?

Also where can I purchase and how much would I expect to pay?

Or should I rely upon wi fi?

Cheers

6. Kaplumbaga macrumors newbie

still best is turkcell dont worry. i live in turkey and other carriers ( vodafone & avea ) so bad. you can buy turkcell prepaid 3g data service. 8gb for 15euro

7. Lit Up* macrumors member

Tried to buy 1GB iPad sim at the airport, this is the result: Vodafone would not sell anything cheaper than 110TL (4GB). Turkcell would not sell anything cheaper than 65TL (1GB). They have different prices for contract customers. Obviously as a tourist there for ten days, I would not purchase a contract. I don't know how the guy above was able to get 8GB for 15 euro. Not at the airport my friend.