Using a 6S+ as a iPad mini, SE as a phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by profmatt, Sep 23, 2016.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I've had a 6+ and now 6S+ for nearly two years but like a number of people on here I'm finding the large size a blessing and a curse. The screen is great, but the weight in my pocket is not.

But then I had an idea: buy an SE to use as an actual phone and for when I'm out and about, and use my 6S+ like a iPad mini.

Best of both worlds?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

And here I thought I was the only one who did that. I had a iPhone SE and a 6s Plus. Sold the SE being it was to small for my needs. Now I have the iPhone 7 4.7, and I am using my 6s Plus for Wifi only for entertainment needs. It works brilliantly for me, being I don't always want to use my iPad or laptop.

Waiting for my iPhone 7 Plus to arrive.

3. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I am sorry, but that's so stupid. Why replacing iPad Mini for a more expensive option? Why dont you go for a 4.7 iPhone and an iPad Mini?

4. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Because I already have the 6S+. The idea is to buy an SE, which is the cheapest screen Apple sells, to use as my phone and "iPod", and then to use my existing 6S+ as an "iPad".

5. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

SE when I'm out.
    MacBook air at home.
    No need for an iPad.

6. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Send your 6S Plus to Apple when your 7 Plus comes in and use the credit from their Reuse and Recycle Program towards an iPad Mini 3 if you're trying to save money.

7. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I think the beauty of the Plus iPhone is its ability, for some, to replace two devices. I really don't use my iPad that much anymore, my 6s+ is just so good for everything. I love mine.

In your scenario, you clearly need a smaller phone and an iPad. Sell the Plus if you don't love it.

8. Leo90 macrumors 6502

Ok, I got it. So why don't you sell your 6S Plus for a good price and get a SE or iPhone7 and the Mini? Now that everyone is into the iPhone 7, I am sure there will also be a lot of people interested in your 6S Plus.

9. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I already have an iPad Pro. I like the 6S+ for casual browsing on the sofa when I'm watching tv. Unlike an iPad it has 3D Touch. I like the fact it can be used in landscape unlike the smaller 6 or 7.

My main issue is size and weight for out-of-home use. The SE seems like the cheapest, most flexible solution.

10. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Wants and needs are personal. Some people have the need for the big screen all the time. I had a 6+ and switched to the SE and will never look back.

11. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

i really don't understand why people think of the + as an iPad mini. The+ isn't that big and you should get used to the size especially after 2 years. Ive had a + since launch 2014 coming from a 5.
    Seems ridiculous to have a 4" and 5.5" phone. Is it really that bad to carry? I've never had an issue. An 8" device is completely difference that a 5.5" phone.

12. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Fixed it for ya.

13. SoYoung macrumors 6502

I also think having two phones is a little too much. Just sell your 6S+ and buy an iPad mini. Honestly, I always have my 6S+ on my pocket and it dont bother me at all. I think its more annoying then practical to have two phones and constantly switch sim card if you want to use one of them on the go as a phone etc.

I dont like iPhone on wi-fi only. You can't forward SMS (actually, you can, but you can't respond, like on iPad) you can't forward calls etc, its not very useful for me. The 6S+ is big yes, but its not as good as using an iPad, its still "small" to use as a tablet and constant media needs.

14. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I bit the bullet and bought an iPhone 7, smaller size.

I'll sell the 6S+.

I may now trade down my iPad Pro to the smaller size.

15. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Kind of doing that now, except I'm using my new 7 as a phone and 6+ that it replaced when I feel like having a bigger screen. I like it!

16. DeathBySprinkles macrumors member

DeathBySprinkles

i like that, personally i love having a small phone like the se, it fits my pocket and hands better, it fits into my life better, and i love the 6s+ size, it hits that sweet spot where it isnt too big but is big enough to enjoy the media. If you already have it i say use it like an IPad man

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The iPad Mini and Plus iPhone is two completely different products. They are not interchangeable. My habits did not change between phone/tablet and I owned the 6+ and own the Mini.