Using a ATT iPad overseas (France/Italy)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by oscsjc, Sep 25, 2012.

1. oscsjc macrumors member

oscsjc

Sorry if this has been gone over before, but there are many, many threads and it is difficult to find a straight answer.

I have a New Ipad and want to purchase a European sim card and prepaid data. I'd like to confirm that the iPad is unlocked. I think I plan on using Onesim, unless there are better options. I also gather there is a set up procedure that must be done.

Can one of you travel warriors help a brother out and point me in the right direction?

thanks!

2. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

SFR in France probably requires the most French language skill because you actually have to speak with an SFR representative to get you a micro-sim card. Setting up the PAYG service is actually, usually done on your end. SFR will recharge the phone SIM to a certain amount or credit that can be used for voice, data, and text (and they're bundled unlimited usage for a X set of days.

You must know French if you want to activate your plan over the phone with the SIM card and French instructions in hand. It's an automated system and even native speakers have issues with it.

Orange also has shops. No experience. Bouygues Telecom, Orange, and Free I never tried.

You might consider buying from one of these carriers and having someone recharge a SIM, and send it to you. I remember when I tried SFR, they require local billing address, which I got away with.

Not sure if I'm particularly helpful ... but I thought I'd ramble my experiences.

3. Denis54 macrumors member

15 minutes was all I needed to buy a SIM card and a prepaid data plan at SFR. It was a very easy process.

I speak French but a lot of people can communicate in English.