Using a Blu-ray Drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by EDarkness, Nov 18, 2012.

1. EDarkness macrumors member

2. blanka macrumors 68000

If you want to view BR movies, the ball lies with the OS. Windows will show it, OSX wont.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There are ways around that, but it is rather clunky.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

I believe recent versions of VLC will play Blu Rays on OS X but I haven't tried it myself since I don't have a drive.

5. EDarkness thread starter macrumors member

If I don't want to view them (I have a PS3 for that), then would it be possible to use BDs for backing up data or to import Blu-ray movies? I heard that Handbrake will do it, but I don't want to invest money into something that won't work.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No, Handbrake does not. You must open the Blu-ray disk using MakeMKV (which is free - for now). Once decrypted, you can rip the titles to your hard drive as MKV files (which play in VLC, Plex, XBMC and a few other apps) or you can play from the disk in VLC using a rather clunky approach (see my sig).

7. EDarkness thread starter macrumors member

Cool. That's good to know.

How about using the DVD functions? Such as watching DVD movies or burning disc. Does that function the same or will the fact that the drive is a Blu-ray drive mean that DVD Player won't recognize it?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a Blu-ray drive in my system and DVD Player works fine for playing DVDs, as does VLC. For watching Blu-ray I use this, although it doesn't seem to like Fox movies.

9. max90034 macrumors newbie

10. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

That's what I'm using also. It will probably be on sale this christmas. Plays the movies fine but the menus suck. If I had to do it again I'd just get a stand alone Blu-ray drive and bypass the computer.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's funny that you should say that; I love how it bypasses the on-disc menus and lets you get straight into the movie.

12. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I think they look cheesy, like something a 15 year old would make in their basement :D