Using a burned Windows XP disc for Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Whitey594, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Whitey594 macrumors newbie

I've tried installing XP on my MBP using Bootcamp, but I guess the XP CD that I have is actually an upgrade CD and not the full system CD that I need for Bootcamp.

Now, I am definitely going to ask around to see if anyone I know has a XP CD, which shouldn't be a problem, but just on the off chance I can't find one(will ebay have em?) could I torrent XP and just burn it to a disc and then insert that when Bootcamp tells me to?

2. redboxcar macrumors 6502

redboxcar

Theoretically, yes. Find an ISO and burn it. I've done it with a non-torrented copy of XP. It was on a burned disc and worked just fine.

3. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I did this and it worked fine. I went digging for my old copy of XP and sadly the disc was cracked. I downloaded a torrent .iso and burned it and the install went just fine.

4. Whitey594 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Glad to know it is possible and will work :) I downloaded and burned a disc just now, so we'll see how that pans out

5. Whitey594 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using my burned Windows XP disc but when I put it in for installation, it goes to a black screen and says 'no bootable device found, please insert disc and press any key'

It doesn't recognize the disc I guess. Can anyone help me with writing a bootable disc? I do have an iso so I don't know whats wrong
    Not sure what to do now.

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Did you burn the Iso to a CD or a dvd? I think XP was released on CD's and that's what you have to burn it on.

7. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

when you are burning the disc, make sure that you're using disk utility to burn the actual image file of the CD to the CD and that you are not just burning the .iso onto the CD directly. If you burn the actual image, it should already make the disc bootable since that is how the image itself is by default from microsoft.